British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gurkha independent parachute company question (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76232)

ANGLE IRON 01-12-19 03:11 PM

Gurkha independent parachute company question

Am I correct that the small badge with crossed kukri and parachute above is a collar badge or was it not worn at all. I understand that the standard Parachute Regiment badge was adopted in 1966 with special backing.

ANGLE IRON 01-12-19 04:53 PM

some pictures

2 Attachment(s)
couple of pictures

MarkGD 01-12-19 05:25 PM

AI, thanks for sharing, not seen one of those before. Regards Mark

ANGLE IRON 01-12-19 05:39 PM

Me neither, very wary of this kind of badge but it turned up fairly innocently with a Gurkha Artillery badge. It is constructed like a collar badge. I have my doubts about whether it was worn.

MarkGD 01-12-19 05:53 PM

AI, further to the above, from a popular auction site:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...kAAOSwIRhd3CSK

I don't know if original, but looks very similar to/highly likely to be a regimental track suit badge of the time. Regards Mark

Gurkha 02-12-19 12:46 PM

Gents, there is a thread on this, but briefly these were never official or issued. A batch were made privately the design being that used on the company letterheads. Events took over and they became affiliated to the Para Reg. They wore the Para Reg cap badge on a rifle green backing with two vertical strips of brigade ribbon. Tim has on for sale on the sales thread.
The ones made were given to the Gurkha Museum shop for sale. This has been widely reproduced including by the museum shop although theirs are marked 'copy' on the rear. The cloth patches are also widely reproduced in various colours. Shoulder title worn by the company were blackened metal and was simply the word 'GURKHA'.
Also a couple have appeared recently being the 'Band' crossed kukris with the chute cut out of a ordinary para cap badge and braised in.

Steve

ANGLE IRON 02-12-19 03:15 PM

Thank you, Steve . That is very helpful. I have seen various types of these over the years but avoided them. This one is made in a similar way to the modern Gurkha Rifles badge, struck metal and chrome plated but with lugs similar to the ones on anodised collar badges. I will keep it as a curiosity, thankfully it was just three pounds on a bric-a-brac stall!

gurkharifles 03-12-19 09:42 AM

Further to Steve's answer the badges were "approved but never worn" - so I feel comfortable having one in my collection - however its almost impossible to tell whether they were from the "original" batch or a later reproduction. Tim

pontecagnano 03-12-19 09:18 PM

Hi, Were the original batch anodised aluminium please?

Many thanks,

Graham

gurkharifles 04-12-19 10:42 AM

Chrome I think.

pontecagnano 04-12-19 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurkharifles (Post 493987)
Chrome I think.

Any idea where the anodised pattern fit in then please?

pontecagnano 05-12-19 03:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
For reference, anodised version showing moulding sprue marks to reverse and re-manufactured Gurkha Museum plated brass version (stamped 'COPY') attached. Note slightly different pattern of examples. I recall Mike Jackson mentioning that the original examples were manufactured by the Perfect Company of Hong Kong in an earlier post.

Mike H 07-12-19 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontecagnano (Post 494044)
Any idea where the anodised pattern fit in then please?

Hi Graham,they've never been made in anodised aluminium. They're all chromed metal. Some of the early ones are very light but not aluminium.

Gurkha 07-12-19 06:58 PM

As far as I am aware Mike is correct. In discussions I have had with a past officer of the unit, 'Due to the design having a very weak point (the rigging lines of the chute) 'Staybright' was believed to be too weak so a metal was opted for.
Steve

pontecagnano 07-12-19 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 494231)
Hi Graham,they've never been made in anodised aluminium. They're all chromed metal. Some of the early ones are very light but not aluminium.

Thanks Mike, the examples I have are definitely lighter than the usual copies and moulded rather than struck. It's possible they're thinner. Need to dig them out of the shoebox and check now!

Thanks also Steve.

Graham