British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Braising hole/overlay dating (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51085)

Paul Spellman 31-01-16 11:56 AM

Braising hole/overlay dating

Hi
I have been looking for a thread without much luck that discussed the date range when the application of overlays (scrolls,crowns etc) were applied to badges without the use of braising holes, if anyone can direct me to that or similar threads it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Alan O 31-01-16 12:16 PM

It's a maker practice that was common on 1890s badges onwards and gradually fell into disuse as badge process changes. However you can still find lots of WW2 badges with brasing holes.

Paul Spellman 31-01-16 12:57 PM

Thanks Alan,
It was a particular thread I was thinking of which had discussed the advancement of techniques in applying overlays rather than the use of braising holes or wire fixings, I think the date was around the 1930's and a particular member with some knowledge of this area had commented. I have a suspicion that the thread had run off on a discussion on a particular badge which makes the finding of if a bit harder.
Paul

Alan O 31-01-16 01:18 PM

I don't agree with that date. Lambournes were making WW1 badges without overlays in WW1.

2747andy 31-01-16 01:46 PM

Paul,
trying to date badges by whether or not they do or do not have vent/sweat holes will be like trying to nail blancmange (the pudding not the band) to the wall. As Alan points out it is probably more down to the manufacturers preference than any specific timeline? Vent holes were used right up to the introduction of anodised badges in the 1950's.

Andy

irish 31-01-16 03:01 PM

This is a question of great interest to myself. I use braising holes as a determinate in badge authenticity. Somewhat simplistic but it has worked well enough so far. It sounds there was overlap in techniques, braising vs no braising? My question is when might non braised overlays first have made there appearance?

Or is it as Andy says "trying to nail Jello to the wall". Currently many badges w/o braising holes have been assigned to my "box o duffers"

Thanks
Jack

Paul Spellman 31-01-16 05:31 PM

My original post was to locate the thread from some time ago which discussed the matters mentioned, I am aware that braising/vent holes etc. were still used up until the introduction of AA badges some of which are riveted as a technique of fixing overlays.
Like Jack I wish to find out when the application of overlays without the use of any visible means Vents/Braise Holes etc started. I am sure a 'new' technique with a date range was mentioned in the thread I seek
Paul

manchesters 31-01-16 06:21 PM

This is what I love about chatting about badges.

I learn something every week.

Blancmange the band - great.

downloading tracks now!!

fougasse1940 31-01-16 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 342537)
I use braising holes as a determinate in badge authenticity.

There are fakes with brazing holes, usually round and drilled.

Rgds, Thomas.

Alan O 31-01-16 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 342571)
My original post was to locate the thread from some time ago which discussed the matters mentioned, I am aware that braising/vent holes etc. were still used up until the introduction of AA badges some of which are riveted as a technique of fixing overlays.
Like Jack I wish to find out when the application of overlays without the use of any visible means Vents/Braise Holes etc started. I am sure a 'new' technique with a date range was mentioned in the thread I seek
Paul

You can date it with certainty to 1914 and probably earlier.

irish 31-01-16 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 342587)
There are fakes with brazing holes, usually round and drilled.

Rgds, Thomas.

Thank you Thomas, I am looking for the oval shaped braze holes. Was aware some fakes show a round hole.

KLR 31-01-16 08:23 PM

Only from the 1926 Pattern do King's Regiment badges have brazeing holes. They are known in square, rectangular and round (but not drilled) shapes.

Trubia26 12-01-21 09:58 PM

Hello! Are these the round and rectangular brazing holes you were talking about?

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/73d8aaae...3908f85b7o.jpg

KLR 24-01-21 09:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes!

Earlier badges of two separate metals were linked by 'tabs' usually projecting upwards from the lower piece and brazed on to the upper piece.

For the 4362A/1896 Pattern, King's (worn / made up to 1926) the earlier products had a rounded tab and the later (probably around 1915-6) were pointed tabs.

Sorry - the wrong way around - the earlier badge is on the right, and the later is on the left

(I've probably got clearer images somewhere but you get the idea)