British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Royal Natal Carbineers cloth title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72836)

iaindh 19-03-19 03:46 PM

Royal Natal Carbineers cloth title

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

can anyone confirm that this blue RNC cloth title was worn during WWII?

Attachment 203877

Many thanks,

Iain

NEMO 19-03-19 04:30 PM

Now that's very nice thanks for showing.

Mike Jackson 19-03-19 06:59 PM

Interesting that the spelling differs from that of the 3rd Carabiniers and Hampshire Carabiniers.

iaindh 20-03-19 01:13 AM

Mike,

The Carabinier was first introduced by the French in the Napoleonic wars and of course carried a Carbine; Carabineer and Carbineer are alternative spellings but as in 3rd Carabiniers, this is the French spelling.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 472814)
Interesting that the spelling differs from that of the 3rd Carabiniers and Hampshire Carabiniers.

Madziro 20-03-19 07:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Having an interest in the Natal carbineers I believe that the title "The Royal Natal Carbineers" was worn during the Second World War. After republic the title changed doe to the Royal title being removed. There are a variety of shoulder titles to the Carbineers as attached. Have included a badge card for reference as well.

fearnaught 20-03-19 07:49 PM

Hi Iain, I have the same title which came from a board made at the end of WW2. My title had a loose 2 below it, hope this helps Mike

Frank Kelley 22-03-19 08:52 PM

In the case of that particular example, if you know the owners name, then your question should be an easy one to answer, but, I have always believed those titles were worn during the war.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 472784)
Hi All,

can anyone confirm that this blue RNC cloth title was worn during WWII?

Attachment 203877

Many thanks,

Iain

iaindh 24-03-19 04:24 PM

Hi Mike, it does help yes, thanks as the title was almost certainly worn during WWII.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearnaught (Post 472918)
Hi Iain, I have the same title which came from a board made at the end of WW2. My title had a loose 2 below it, hope this helps Mike

iaindh 24-03-19 04:26 PM

Hi Dudley,

many thanks, I think you also clarifies the issue.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madziro (Post 472917)
Having an interest in the Natal carbineers I believe that the title "The Royal Natal Carbineers" was worn during the Second World War. After republic the title changed doe to the Royal title being removed. There are a variety of shoulder titles to the Carbineers as attached. Have included a badge card for reference as well.

iaindh 24-03-19 04:27 PM

Hello Frank,

unfortunately I don't know the name of the previous owner but I'm fairly confidant the issue has been resolved.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 473101)
In the case of that particular example, if you know the owners name, then your question should be an easy one to answer, but, I have always believed those titles were worn during the war.

Frank Kelley 25-04-19 07:24 PM

Indeed, I think you have had the answer.