British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   TRFs (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3714)

lettman 01-10-08 01:26 AM

TRFs

Is there a comprehensive listing of all Tactical Recognition Flashes used by the British Army over the last 20 years? I'm particularly interested in those used by the Infantry regts prior to the recent formation of the 'super regiments'.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

badjez 01-10-08 05:40 PM

TRF's

Hi,
I would suggest you get hold of Marc J Sherriff's publications. He produced two booklets entitled 'British Army Unit identification Badges of the 1990's (Some a little earlier)' and a supplement to it. I believe these have recently been republished. Apart from DZ patches I don't believe TRFs were worn by the British Army prior to then. DZ's for airborne units are well covered by Charles E Edwards publication 'Drop Zone Flashes of the British Airborne Forces'.

You might also pm '54Bty'.

Hope this helps. Stephen.

ORISKANY 01-10-08 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettman (Post 24014)
Is there a comprehensive listing of all Tactical Recognition Flashes used by the British Army over the last 20 years? I'm particularly interested in those used by the Infantry regts prior to the recent formation of the 'super regiments'.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello there,

I concur with the comments by BADJEZ. I have both of these publications and without doubt they are really good. They have been republished by the Military Library Research Services Limited. They can be ordered via their web site for total of £30 - good value for money!

You might like to try British Cloth Formation Signs by BL MORRIS. It comes in 3 parts. Part 3 is the one that covers TRFs etc. It is an A4 booklet showing TRFs etc in line drawings with the appropriate remarks on the opposite page. This can be obtained via the web site www.morrismilitaria.co.uk. Another good and useful private publication by an expert collector.

Finally there is a series of wall charts knocking around, published by the MOD(A) showing all the registered and approved TRFs and AFBs. Unfortunately there are some errors on them. So you will probably be better with one of the publications I have listed. If you do find a definitive list please tell us so we can get one!

ORISKANY.

lettman 02-10-08 12:48 AM

Many thanks for the leads, guys -- I'll definitely follow these up.
I've also found a web resource of current TRFs (but nothing earlier) here:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Tactical_Recognition_Flash
(There's also some very useful other information on the forum attached to the above site.)

Peter Brydon 02-10-08 04:17 PM

A couple of years ago the Military Historical Society obtained a number of the wall charts refered to in the previous post and send them to members with the Bulletin, one showed the then current TRF`s, mine are on my office wall, interesting that they contained some mistakes.

P.B.

lettman 02-10-08 11:52 PM

I've just sent off an order for the Sherriff books from MLRS Books, so thanks again for the replies.

Mike_2817 27-03-09 11:03 PM

The MoD are in the process of updating and republishing three posters

British Army Cap Badges
British Army Formation Flashes
British Army Tactical Recognition Flashes

I am told they are being published very soon.

lettman 29-03-09 09:19 PM

Thanks, Mike -- can you let us know when they come out, and how to get copies (I'm in Australia)?

Mike_2817 31-03-09 09:23 PM

I am trying to get a set for myself at the moment! But I am told they are also to be published a A3 JPEG's on the MOD Site. I will try and find out the URL's for you.

lettman 31-03-09 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 35748)
I am trying to get a set for myself at the moment! But I am told they are also to be published a A3 JPEG's on the MOD Site. I will try and find out the URL's for you.

Many thanks!

54Bty 01-04-09 05:22 PM

The last time I saw the Cap Badge and Formation sign poster (January 2009) it was still incorrect. The badges being used are in some cases the logo used on letter heads and signs, or the coloured illustration used to register it as a trade mark. The TRF's are those that have been 'Registered' with the ADC, in some cases not those being worn.

The British Army Organisations - Units and Cap Badges Poster

lettman 05-04-09 10:58 AM

I see what you mean -- the badge shown for the QDGs, for example, is a very odd choice!