British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry and Armoured Units (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Royal Canadian Armoured Corps cloth badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69785)

High Wood 17-09-18 09:26 AM

Royal Canadian Armoured Corps cloth badges

4 Attachment(s)
Having recently purchased a collection of cloth Armoured Corps badges I am keen to know if the Canadian badges amongst them are genuine and, what period they date from.

I would welcome your thoughts on these please.

Mike Jackson 17-09-18 09:54 AM

The expansion of RCAC on the maple leaf is "Royal Canadian Army Cadets" (Charles Edwards' Canadian Army Formation Signs 1939-1985, Nos 148a and 148b).

edstorey 17-09-18 10:02 AM

RCAC

Try a Google search using 'RCAC in a maple leaf' and your question will magically be answered.

High Wood 17-09-18 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 454493)
The expansion of RCAC on the maple leaf is "Royal Canadian Army Cadets" (Charles Edwards' Canadian Army Formation Signs 1939-1985, Nos 148a and 148b).

So nothing to do with the Canadian Armoured Corps at all. I am guessing that the chap who put the collection together had wrongly assumed them to be Royal Canadian Armoured Corps, as indeed I did. No wonder that they didn't show up on an internet search.

High Wood 17-09-18 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstorey (Post 454497)
Try a Google search using 'RCAC in a maple leaf' and your question will magically be answered.

Not sure if that was sarcasm but as the collection was armoured corps themed, I wrongly assumed that they were Canadian Armoured Corps related. I searched the internet using the full title rather than the initials or description.

leigh kitchen 17-09-18 10:23 AM

I made the same mistake myself when I aquired a "RCAC" badge years ago and only found out it was a Cadet badge from info. On this forum.
Sorry, I didn't post to say what the badge was as I thought an expert on such insignia would be along to give chapter and verse.

High Wood 17-09-18 10:40 AM

Leigh,

no apology necessary. Canadian badges are outside my (limited) field of expertise. I got these a the Malvern Flea yesterday morning and you have to make quick decisions as others will snap them up if you hesitate. I think that I did pretty well with the other items.

Simon

leigh kitchen 17-09-18 10:46 AM

Indeed you do and you did.

slick_mick 17-09-18 09:28 PM

RCAC = Royal Canadian Army Cadets.

Mick

slick_mick 17-09-18 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 454500)
Not sure if that was sarcasm but as the collection was armoured corps themed, I wrongly assumed that they were Canadian Armoured Corps related. I searched the internet using the full title rather than the initials or description.

I like the RTR and RAC khaki slip ons. Probably should try and find some for my collection.

Mick

Bill A 18-09-18 07:55 PM

RCAC does not equal Royal Canadian Army Cadets, officially. Their use of the abbreviation on insignia, somehow escaped the notice of those that should have noticed. RCAC was the official abbreviation of the Armoured Corps after they were granted the Royal honour. There was further confusion with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets.

High Wood 19-09-18 07:07 AM

Thank you for the clarification. I can see why the man who put the collection together was confused.