British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Royal Artillery embroidered cloth badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82272)

High Wood 13-12-20 06:49 PM

Royal Artillery embroidered cloth badge

1 Attachment(s)
Is it possible to say when this Royal Artillery cloth badge was worn?

I am presuming that it was worn on battledress.

manchesters 13-12-20 06:58 PM

Its probably earlier than BD judging by its construction.

More typically WW1.

regards

High Wood 13-12-20 07:06 PM

Simon,

I am pleased that it may date from the Great War. It measures approximately three inches by one and a half inches. Could it part of a Royal Artillery Sergeant's rank badge?

Simon.

manchesters 13-12-20 07:13 PM

Simon,

Yes, sorry I thought you knew that.
Its a NCO's/Warrant Officers arm badge worn in conjunction with rank badge.

regards

High Wood 13-12-20 07:22 PM

Simon,

I suspected that it was, but I am only really familiar of the brass version which presumably replaced the embroidered version. The gun is larger than the brass version hence my needing clarification.

Thanks for your help,

Simon.

Artynut 14-12-20 03:09 PM

Simon, (Highwood), I have one almost identical to yours, purchased from a respected forum member many years ago. It was listed as late Victorian. I got into a panic last night trying to find it. When I do, I’ll post a picture for you. Best regards, David J.

High Wood 15-12-20 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 532127)
Simon, (Highwood), I have one almost identical to yours, purchased from a respected forum member many years ago. It was listed as late Victorian. I got into a panic last night trying to find it. When I do, I’ll post a picture for you. Best regards, David J.

That would possibly make it Boer War and it was probably worn for some time after. I have an album full of Great War Royal Artillery photographic post cards and there must be a Sergeant or two in there, so I will see if I can find an example of it being worn.

Please post your example when you locate it as I would be interested to see it.

Artynut 29-12-20 09:02 PM

Royal Artillery embroidered badge

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Simon (Highwood), My panic is over! Here are two shots of my arm badge similar to yours as mentioned in an earlier post. Best regards, David J.

Tinto 29-12-20 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 532182)
That would possibly make it Boer War and it was probably worn for some time after. I have an album full of Great War Royal Artillery photographic post cards and there must be a Sergeant or two in there, so I will see if I can find an example of it being worn.

Please post your example when you locate it as I would be interested to see it.

Hi All,
Here is a picture of an Artillery sergeant at Mafeking.
Hard to see his badge but the image may be downloaded and enlarged.
Cheers, John

cbuehler 30-12-20 02:32 AM

Whilst they are impossible to date with certainty, both of the Khaki gun examples shown are more likely WW1-ish rather than Boer War in my opinion.

CB

High Wood 30-12-20 05:15 PM

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Special thanks to Artynut and Tinto for uploading pictures. Happy New Year.

MH331 31-12-20 03:04 PM

Lovely early badge in my opinion. Thanks for showing it. QUOTE=Artynut;533586]Hello Simon (Highwood), My panic is over! Here are two shots of my arm badge similar to yours as mentioned in an earlier post. Best regards, David J.[/QUOTE]

54Bty 31-12-20 03:48 PM

The khaki version of the sleeve gun was introduced in 1902.

Marc
I thought I had already posted this. :confused:

54Bty 28-05-21 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 533586)
Hello Simon (Highwood), My panic is over! Here are two shots of my arm badge similar to yours as mentioned in an earlier post. Best regards, David J.

Image in post 8.

Going by the shape of the top this could be a Staff Sergeants badge with the crown cut off.

Marc