British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   German Uniform/Language/Date Assistance? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72008)

Roy 04-02-19 07:41 PM

German Uniform/Language/Date Assistance?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

Can I get some assistance with this please? I think (?) German.

Any help with the uniform, insignia. Also a few works (name?) on the back and what looks like 1937???

Cheers,

Roy

MarkGD 04-02-19 07:43 PM

Roy, 1931 i think, at that time they crossed their sevens to show the difference. Nice Photo - Regards Mark

Roy 04-02-19 07:43 PM

Thanks Mark,

Cheers,

Roy

Jelly Terror 04-02-19 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first name is definitely Heinrich.

Struggling a bit with the surname though.

Attachment 201102

btns 04-02-19 07:59 PM

Heinrich ..ornes 1931.

leigh kitchen 04-02-19 08:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Possibly a number "3" on the shoulder strap?
The cap insignia will be a gold coloured metal oakleaf wreath containing a gold coloured metal oval bearing a black painted Weimar eagle, surmounted by a roundel.
The buttons may also be gold coloured and bearing the (unpainted) eagle, the belt plate will be silver coloured, bearing the eagle.
I have examples of the badges, buttons and belt plate and will post images tomorrow.

Cockade, buttons and belt plate, I think that about exhausts my Weimar insignia apart from a couple of naval buttons

NEMO 04-02-19 09:31 PM

No cloth breast Eagle .

Roy 04-02-19 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

Thanks so much for all of this help and your interesting perspective. I don't normally go anywhere near non Brit/Allied items but this was such a great photograph of a B.S.A. motorcycles (see attached) I could not resist.

Despite it being a little 'off topic' from my area of collecting, I have still included it in my album.

Cheers,

Roy

RSM 04-02-19 11:46 PM

Nice photo.

This chap is a Gefreiter (Private First class), and is wearing his 'walking out' uniform. As noted the date is 1931.This places him in the Weimar period before the Austrian megalomaniac came to power in 1933. The VS number plate = Villingen Schwenningen, a district in South-west Germany. I also note he appears to be wearing cavalry type boots, as opposed to the famous 'jackboots', and would guess he is from a cavalry/recon type unit. At around this time such units were being converted from horses to vehicles and would go on to form the Panzer-Aufklarungs-Abteilung (armoured recon units) of the Panzer Divisions. As Leigh pointed out, the number on his shoulder board designates his regiment.

Roy 05-02-19 12:02 AM

Really wonderful information RSM,

Many thanks indeed and I have updated my description.

It's astonishing what details can be gleaned from a photograph.

Cheers,

Roy

RSM 05-02-19 12:16 AM

Cheers Roy, happy to help.

If you can get a better close in of the number on his shoulder strap it may just be possible to nail his unit. I have a reference book that could tell us what units were based in the VS district.

regards,

Rich.

Roy 05-02-19 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rich,

Thanks for that mate. This is the best I can do. Looks like an 8 to me?

Cheers,

Roy

Phil2M 05-02-19 01:10 AM

Heinrich Dornes, in my opinion.

Jelly Terror 05-02-19 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 467687)
Heinrich ..ornes 1931.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 467712)
Heinrich Dornes, in my opinion.

I'd go along with that.

Roy 05-02-19 01:36 AM

That sounds pretty good to me too.

Cheers,

Roy