British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Possible to date Welsh Guards Tunic? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42713)

saintconor 09-11-14 11:45 PM

Possible to date Welsh Guards Tunic?

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to date a Welsh Guards tunic that has had the lining removed (this normally has the date I think)? It has brass KC buttons so I know its pre 1952 but 1915-1952 is a pretty big range :)

Thanks

Conor

saintconor 10-11-14 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some pics

JerryBB 10-11-14 10:10 PM

If not for the buttons I would have said this was fairly modern. I have seen a 1937 dated example of this version so I assume it was introduced sometime during the inter wars period.

john badge 16-11-14 01:57 PM

As the Welsh Guards where a war raised unit (1915) it is probable they didnt have tunics until about 1920 give or take. As far as I know it hasnt changed since then appart from the kings crown/queens crown and the introduction of staybright buttons. Appart from that, this one looks exactly like the one I was issued in 1967.

iain 16-11-14 02:27 PM

Maybe wrong but did the guards wear metal shoulder titles in full dress up until c.ww2. as the service dress but without the letters.
Iain

2747andy 16-11-14 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john badge (Post 285842)
As the Welsh Guards where a war raised unit (1915) it is probable they didnt have tunics until about 1920 give or take. As far as I know it hasnt changed since then appart from the kings crown/queens crown and the introduction of staybright buttons. Appart from that, this one looks exactly like the one I was issued in 1967.

John,
There was a post War austerity tunic for senior ranks, which did not feature as much embellishment and Ian as far as I'm aware in Full Dress (Tunic Order) embroidered titles have always been worn, whether worsted or bullion! Some Guards Regiments have the addition of metal components to the otherwise embroidered badges for Senior Ranks (Sgts & WOs). On Battle Dress and No 2 Dress both metal and "Mud Guard" style cloth title have been worn, sometimes both concurrently?

Andy

davidwyke 16-11-14 11:32 PM

Conor

If the buttons are original to the tunic then it probably dates pre c.1950 as the Welsh Guards changed from brass to anodised KC buttons around this date.

As regards the comment by Iain regarding the use of metal shoulder titles in full dress pre WW2, Westlake also states this but I agree with Andy. I've seen numerous photos of Guardsmen in full dress from the Victorian period to the present and as far as Grenadier, Coldstream, Irish & Welsh Guards are concerned they always seem to have embroidered shoulder badges.

Scots Gds did wear a metal Star of the Order of the Thistle on the full dress shoulder straps for a time between the wars. Westlake shows one and I have one in my collection. They also wear a small regimental button in the centre of the embroidered star, I thought this was worn by all ranks but it may just be NCO's & WO's.

David

NEMO 17-11-14 01:01 AM

If you can show interior pictures , the inside of the pockets I may be able to help

saintconor 21-11-14 09:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Many thanks everyone for the interest. Have attached a few extra photos that I've taken on my phone.

magpie 21-11-14 09:40 AM

I had some brass kc welsh guards buttons from pirbright camp in 1984? So they must have been still about until at least then not 1952 for something.
Andy :)