British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Westminster Cadet badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27154)

Keith Blakeman 28-07-11 09:23 PM

Westminster Cadet badges

2 Attachment(s)
If anyone has a copy of Rawlings or Cox, would they be kind enough to check if this is actually the badge of the Westminster City School OTC please.

It's pretty ugly being cast nickel and the loops don't look right. K&K isn't much help as they have WCS in the text but the badge illustrated is actually Westminster School which is the public school down the road in the abbey.

It's the badge we wore on our blazer when I was a pupil at WCS in the early 1970's. The CCF was affiliated to the London Scottish, wore the badge of the Highland Brigade and drilled at the RGJ in Fulham High Street, I was never a member as I was in the Scouts at the time although I did attend a couple of recruiting nights. The CCF was wound up in my last year in 1977.

Thanks.

wardog 28-07-11 10:49 PM

Not mentioned /pictured in Cox, just Westminster School. Regards, Paul.

Peter Brydon 29-07-11 06:50 AM

Not in Rawlings,nor is the unit mentioned in Westlake "A Register of Territorial Force Cadet Units "

Peter

peter616 29-07-11 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here the page from his book

peter
Attachment 45069

Peter Brydon 29-07-11 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry,

Peter is correct.

( No excuse but Peter has a different edition to me )

P.B.

Peter J 29-07-11 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 45074

http://www.wcsch.com/community/cadet...adets-history/

johnG 29-07-11 08:37 AM

Hi PJ,
Great picture you have posted. Cities of London and Westminster.

I note Keith was a Scout in Westminster. I was one in the City of London.

Regards,

johnG

Peter Brydon 29-07-11 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great that a lot of the old regimental cap badges are still being worn by cadets and in the case of Liverpool University OTC the badge of the Kings Liverpools.

I also find the changes in affiliations to be most interesting, no mention of the affiliation to the London Scottish on the school website.

Its is a pity that cadet unit affiliations stopped being shown in the Army List as did the list of officers of the CCF.

Westminster City School CCF is listed in the September 1964 Army List ( see attached ) but no officers listed.

The question now is which KRRC badge is now worn ?

P.B.

Keith Blakeman 29-07-11 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 123471)
Great that a lot of the old regimental cap badges are still being worn by cadets and in the case of Liverpool University OTC the badge of the Kings Liverpools.

I also find the changes in affiliations to be most interesting, no mention of the affiliation to the London Scottish on the school website.

Its is a pity that cadet unit affiliations stopped being shown in the Army List as did the list of officers of the CCF.

Westminster City School CCF is listed in the September 1964 Army List ( see attached ) but no officers listed.

The question now is which KRRC badge is now worn ?

P.B.

The plot thickens. The books show the Westminster School OTC badge, as does K&K. Interestingly the website linked by PeterJ mentions the QWR which would make sense as their HQ during the WW1 period was a few hundred yards away from the school and would make the drilling at the RGJ Hall in Fulham logical, but when I was there the cadets wore the Tam O' Shanter of the London Scottish, an equally close Regiment.

For JohnG, I was a scout at the 40th later 2nd Fulham at Parson Green but went to WCS in Victoria.

johnG 29-07-11 06:02 PM

Keith, I tried to pm you without success. I was 4th city of London (St. Andrew Undershaft), St. Mary Axe. Then combined 4/14th at St. Botolphs Church Bishopsgate as numbers dwindled, then there were only two or three of us left and that was the end of it in 1949.

Then came a long break before raising the North Banbury, Oxfordshire, Venture Scouts in 1968

My next involvment was in Zimbabwe in 1970, with last position International Commissioner for Matabeleland before returning to UK in 2004.

Great days,

Regards

johnG

engr9266 13-09-12 12:19 PM

QUEEN'S WESTMINSTER CADET CORPS BADGE

1 Attachment(s)
One for the "LONDONER'S" ?? 271055422896 :D
Not my cup of tea so don't know if this is good or what ??

Keith Blakeman 14-09-12 06:59 AM

I posted one like this a while back Jerry, and the general concensus was that it is Westminster City School. It's certainly the school badge, I went there in the 1970's. There's some confusion over the OTC and Cadets. I've read they were affiliated to the KRRC through the Queen Victoria's Rifles or Rangers, I can't remember which but in my days there, they drilled with the Green Jackets in Fulham at Putney Bridge but they wore Tam O' Shanters with an anodized Highland Brigade badge, presumably a connection with the London Scottish just around the corner from the school.

conijoni 19-09-12 10:06 PM

Westminster City School

According to the Cadet List (1922) there were three companies with a headquarters at Westminster City School, forming the Queen's Westminster Cadet Corps. They received recognition on 5th December 1910 and were affiliated to the 16th (County of London) Battalion, the London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles). Strength in 1921 was 3 Officers, 9 Sergeants, 98 Other Ranks, 110 Total All Ranks.

Alan O 11-11-13 08:08 PM

From their website:

WCS cadets now
A cadet detachment was re-formed at the school in 2007 and we are called 234 Detachment KRRC (King’s Royal Rifle Corps). We are part of NW London sector ACF. The KRRC is a direct descendant of the QWR and cadets are allowed to continue to wear the KRRC cap badge (even though the regiment is disbanded) as some KRRC cadets won a battle honour during the South Africa war in 1901 and are the only cadets ever to do so. Only 3 other cadet detachments have this honour as well as being able to call our cadets Riflemen instead of ‘cadets’

The cadets wear a collar sized KRRC style cross in black on green berets.

http://www.wcsch.com/news/eleventh-hour

Silver Tourist 11-11-13 09:35 PM

Newport Market Cadet Corps (16th London).

Good evening.

Not my area, but I thought this image rang a bell and have now found out where I have seen it before: Rawlings Ref: 1536 Newport Market Cadet Corps (16th London), it says in the book.

Aren't books wonderful? Always a great investment.

And, if memory serves me correctly, I have seen this badge offered recently in a general sale somewhere. It was listed on www.the-saleroom.com.

Enjoy.

S.T.