British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Unusual ILH badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71431)

iaindh 02-01-19 12:17 PM

Unusual ILH badge

3 Attachment(s)
Posting for a friend; very unusual 2 piece, silver and copper ILH badge, size approx O627, 50 x 30mm. any ideas anyone please

Attachment 199115Attachment 199116

Attachment 199117

Thanks Iain

magpie 02-01-19 12:53 PM

You've got some well made parts put together with what appears to be just sniped off pieces of wire, I can't make that out unless someone has trimmed the badge for reasons unknown

iaindh 02-01-19 02:04 PM

:D:D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 464070)
You've got some well made parts put together with what appears to be just sniped off pieces of wire, I can't make that out unless someone has trimmed the badge for reasons unknown

Traist 02-01-19 02:45 PM

Compliments of the season Iain. Very unusual indeed. Is it Silver? Regards Andrew

iaindh 02-01-19 03:05 PM

Thanks Andrew, and to you also

Silver and copper; a strange combination

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 464075)
Compliments of the season Iain. Very unusual indeed. Is it Silver? Regards Andrew

Frank Kelley 02-01-19 06:27 PM

A lovely thing, Iain, clearly jeweller made, on the face of it, I would thing a sweetheart brooch, with the regiments title and all the usual Latin, but, the lack of a pin and catch, makes me, at least, wonder if this was worn by a member of the regiment, back in the day, who simply wanted a little more.
I am slightly confused by silver and copper, not really what it actually looks like, certainly from the obverse, have you tested for gold?
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 464065)
Posting for a friend; very unusual 2 piece, silver and copper ILH badge, size approx O627, 50 x 30mm. any ideas anyone please

Attachment 199115Attachment 199116

Attachment 199117

Thanks Iain

Brian Conyngham 03-01-19 04:35 AM

Hi Iain

Compliments of the Season....

Yes, a lovely badge you have there, having lugs it could well have been worn by an officer / soldier as Frank puts it "who simply wanted a little more" , and yes the flags look like gold to me as well! I seriously doubt that you would have a copper and silver combination on such a fine piece.

One would be hard pressed to find workmanship like that today, a great addition to your ILH collection.

Brian

iaindh 03-01-19 05:11 AM

Hi Frank,

agreed, clearly made by a Jeweller and I also thought of the possibility of it being silver and gold but the lack of a hallmark threw me.
I agree it needs to be tested.
regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 464103)
A lovely thing, Iain, clearly jeweller made, on the face of it, I would thing a sweetheart brooch, with the regiments title and all the usual Latin, but, the lack of a pin and catch, makes me, at least, wonder if this was worn by a member of the regiment, back in the day, who simply wanted a little more.
I am slightly confused by silver and copper, not really what it actually looks like, certainly from the obverse, have you tested for gold?
Regards Frank

iaindh 03-01-19 05:13 AM

Hi Brian, thanks and to you.

Not actually mine, I'm posting for a friend.

I also suspected silver and gold, it is such a nice piece.
I'll recommend he has it tested

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 464153)
Hi Iain

Compliments of the Season....

Yes, a lovely badge you have there, having lugs it could well have been worn by an officer / soldier as Frank puts it "who simply wanted a little more" , and yes the flags look like gold to me as well! I seriously doubt that you would have a copper and silver combination on such a fine piece.

One would be hard pressed to find workmanship like that today, a great addition to your ILH collection.

Brian

William Surmon 03-01-19 12:38 PM

Unusual ILH Badge

Thank you for the comments on the badge, I also had feedback from Col Heinrich janzen, previous Officer Commanding with the Light Horse Regiment. He believes it is jeweller made like many other items for things like the Mess Dress Insignia - all unofficially. The two types of fasteners were of interest. The Bi Metal indicates that it might have been for an officer, as was the custom and fashion in the Regiment. The size indicates Headress - he suspects a very early piece- very nice an excellent find.

iaindh 03-01-19 04:39 PM

Good evening and welcome to the Forum William, you should enjoy it.

It's your great find so you can now take ownership.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Surmon (Post 464181)
Thank you for the comments on the badge, I also had feedback from Col Heinrich janzen, previous Officer Commanding with the Light Horse Regiment. He believes it is jeweller made like many other items for things like the Mess Dress Insignia - all unofficially. The two types of fasteners were of interest. The Bi Metal indicates that it might have been for an officer, as was the custom and fashion in the Regiment. The size indicates Headress - he suspects a very early piece- very nice an excellent find.