British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Foreign Badges and Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Unkn Soviet (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64421)

Darrell 21-09-17 10:59 AM

Unkn Soviet

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

Could someone be so kind as to ID and/or translate this very flimsy patch? Pre-1991?

Reminds me of the different patches for factions in Yugoslavia 1994. Or is this typical Eastern European construction for the era?

Any assistance appreciated.

regards
Darrell

leigh kitchen 21-09-17 12:44 PM

The extent of my skill at translating cyrillic is comparing known characters on beer labels & vehicle licence plate markings eg "Nektar" is "Hekwap" in Cyrillic on a beer label, "RS" is "PC" in Cyrillic on a licence plate.
A Google search should bring up comparison alphabets to use to decipher the lettering on the badge.

Mike Jackson 21-09-17 12:49 PM

Something like:

CHERIGOVSKIYA

SK.BARS.SPSKOV

It's all Russian to me! Mike

Darrell 21-09-17 01:14 PM

Hi Leigh and Mike

Thanks guys.

I tried a couple of translations but could only nail down the top text as a town in N. Ukraine; Chernihiv.

SK I don't know but BARS is Leopard so that fits with the image. If it is Pskov after that then it is odd as that's 800 miles from Chernihiv.

Some sort of Airborne unit, I'm hoping. That's what caught my eye.

regards
Darrell

leigh kitchen 21-09-17 01:24 PM

76th Guards Airborne Div, possible connection?

https://russian-sales.com/collection...orne-division/

Mike Jackson 21-09-17 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 421395)
Something like:

CHERIGOVSKIYA

SK.BARS.SPSKOV

It's all Russian to me! Mike

As from the website - link below:

Regalia: martial name – “Chernigovsksya”, award of the Red Banner, Kutuzov's award of 2nd degree.

Darrell 21-09-17 04:31 PM

Hi leigh

Yes, I think so. Very similar construct. Blue over green fields and the wing design could be considered the same. No Star but that example is Russia modern.

I thought that Soviet Airborne wore their unique to all patch (Blue & Gold shield, Chute and 2 airplanes, Star, Hammer & Sickle) and not individual Divisional titles until after "The Fall..." but was not 100% sure. It never came up. When did they stop using a Star finally, I wonder.

Hi Mike

There's no link there and that name "CHERIGOVSKIYA" is not a word I can find anything on. Thanks.

regards
Darrell

leigh kitchen 21-09-17 05:45 PM

Check the link again re. "Chernigovsksya", similar to "CHERIGOVSKIYA".

Mike Jackson 21-09-17 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 421441)
Check the link again re. "Chernigovsksya", similar to "CHERIGOVSKIYA".

It is, in effect, an honour title. I believe a similar system obtained in the Soviet Air and Ground Forces - the award of the honorific "Guards" for formations that particularly distinguished themselves in the Great Patriotic War (aka WW2). Mike

Darrell 21-09-17 11:27 PM

Hi Mike

Ok, I see where you're going with that. It could be a Pskov-based unit but the honor bestowed on them could be (for example) a battle in the Chernihiv region.

Thank you both. :)

In your estimation though, is this a soviet era patch or post-1991?

regards
Darrell

Mike Jackson 22-09-17 07:48 AM

I don't know, but I believe that the Soviet Ground Forces were more security conscious and would only wear generic arm of service arm badges. Mike

54Bty 22-09-17 06:02 PM

As far as I know Soviet cloth badges have in the past always been plastic embossed on cloth, and the star has always included the hammer and sickle.

Marc

leigh kitchen 22-09-17 07:01 PM

In terms of manufacture, printed on flimsy handkerchief type cloth, it reminded me straight away of a range of British & Commonwealth fakes, but I have no idea what is or isn't valid for Russian insignia.

Darrell 24-09-17 12:05 AM

Thanks guys. :)

Yeah I don't hold a lot in the idea it's any great thing. Initial post-Fall effort at crappery?

I does remind me exactly of the Bosnian/Serb/Croat stuff in the early 90's too though.

No big thing.:D

regards
Darrell