British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   9th Lancers Kings Crown White Metal, Only Two Lugs, Behind Pennons. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70167)

leigh kitchen 11-10-18 08:28 AM

9th Lancers Kings Crown White Metal, Only Two Lugs, Behind Pennons.

2 Attachment(s)
The photos aren't the best, I know the layer of verdigris isn't going to help, but can this be identified as good or bad?
Is the positioning of the lugs, only two and behind the pennons an automatic disqualification?

Alan O 11-10-18 01:31 PM

For a lugged badge I would expect 4 lugs. It's possible the lower ones were lost.

Alan

leigh kitchen 11-10-18 02:07 PM

Yes, seems a strange arrangement.
I'll check it re. missing lugs but I don't think it's had more than the two or a slider that's been replaced.
I'd better get to grips with the verdigris, see what it may be hiding.

Frank Kelley 11-10-18 07:11 PM

You do, on occasion, encounter original badges with two lugs, although, they certainly lack the quality of the typical Edwardian badges and I would think that they were not made in that decade.
I suspect that badge is likely to be an original example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 456595)
The photos aren't the best, I know the layer of verdigris isn't going to help, but can this be identified as good or bad?
Is the positioning of the lugs, only two and behind the pennons an automatic disqualification?

leigh kitchen 11-10-18 07:29 PM

I'll clean it up, not something I'd normally do but it makes sense to sort out the verdigris.

Frank Kelley 15-10-18 07:50 PM

It would certainly benefit from a clean.

leigh kitchen 15-10-18 08:01 PM

I'm looking for the Black & Decker and it's sanding pad now..........

Frank Kelley 16-10-18 07:17 AM

Verdigris is a real pain, I hate it!

leigh kitchen 16-10-18 10:47 AM

15 Attachment(s)
Right, after 1/2 hour in my own special blend of verdigris remover, this is revealed........

Frank Kelley 17-10-18 12:55 PM

Not really a fan of that particular badge from the detailed images you now show.

leigh kitchen 17-10-18 01:16 PM

Quite a hard, bright silver colour with dull patches and brown stains from the verdigris and cleaning solution, yellow brazing dull copper footed lugs, some aspects I like, some I don't, I'm with you on this one.

verdun 21-10-18 04:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
hello
i don't know if that can help and may be i am totally wrong but except lugs this badge seems to be very similar that the one i have with a gaunt mark ,not the fake 15 mm one with a dot, not the 11mm ones

regards
christophe

leigh kitchen 21-10-18 04:43 PM

Thank you.

Luke H 21-10-18 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdun (Post 457582)
hello
i don't know if that can help and may be i am totally wrong but except lugs this badge seems to be very similar that the one i have with a gaunt mark ,not the fake 15 mm one with a dot, not the 11mm ones

regards
christophe

I think Christophe is right regarding the badge being from the same die.

Personally I’m not comfortable with the 2 loops badge for all the reasons mentioned. Those loops look very modern to me.

leigh kitchen 22-10-18 05:53 AM

The location of the loops, considering there's only two, sounded alarm bells, I just chose to ignore them.
£2.50, better spent on beer.

Luke H 22-10-18 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve just seen a badge from this die in all brass. I’d say at best Gaunt restrikes from an original die. I’m not comfortable with the marked badge either truth be told despite it bearing a supposed ‘good’ Gaunt mark.

verdun 22-10-18 01:44 PM

agree with you they seem to come from the same die

mine has not a good origin(militaria fair) so it can be a fake, just bought it because it was cheap

regards
christophe

verdun 22-10-18 04:16 PM

"I’ve just seen a badge from this die in all brass"

is the badge yours ? i ask because when i look at the first photo it has indeed a brass color but on the photo of the back i see a white metal color ( varnished ???)

maybe my old pc screen and my old eyes:D

leigh kitchen 22-10-18 04:41 PM

A clear brass colour on my machine.......

Luke H 22-10-18 05:32 PM

No not mine. Looks as brassy as brass can be both sides to me :)

verdun 22-10-18 06:13 PM

so i need a new pc screen , not a real problem, but for eyes i am afraid it will be a real problem:D

Frank Kelley 23-10-18 07:39 AM

Can you actually buy a pint for £2.50 these days?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 457618)
The location of the loops, considering there's only two, sounded alarm bells, I just chose to ignore them.
£2.50, better spent on beer.

leigh kitchen 23-10-18 08:11 AM

No, but it'd get you half way there.
Maybe a can of wife beater, child beater or senorita beater, or two of cheap supermarket lager.
On second thoughts buying a dubious badge was probably a better decision.

Luke H 23-10-18 01:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This JR.GAUNT.LONDON one on eBay is the price of a beer in London, sadly... definitely rather have the beer!

Luke H 23-10-18 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdun (Post 457582)
hello

regards
christophe

Christophe,

Could you tell me the length of this mark please?

Thanks,

Luke

verdun 23-10-18 03:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello

it becomes insteresting !! lol

mark on mine is not complete, a "j" and probably a dot are missing, it is possible to see the top of the "R" of JR (see attachments)
the actual mark =11 mm i think a complete mark would be 12/13 mm

last attachment a comparison between the 9th lancers mark and a 15mm with dot ( on a fake hampshire badge, bought it especially to compare!!) letters are smaller on the 9th lancer ,around 1 mm

slider seems to be original to the badge

strange badges ........

verdun 23-10-18 03:43 PM

from what i can see from ebay photo the only difference between the two badges is the back and may be the spears points

Luke H 23-10-18 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdun (Post 457733)
from what i can see from ebay photo the only difference between the two badges is the back and may be the spears points

Lance tips are different because it’s either a poor striking or the die has worn there. It’s certainky the same die.

Interesting. Looking at the makers mark section I cannot see a 12/13mm mark? https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/ma...arks/gaunt.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdun (Post 457731)

strange badges ........

Rather fake badges I’d say!

verdun 23-10-18 04:48 PM

agree
a lot of the 9th lancers sold on ebay are from this die; never a good sign !!! i never checked ebay before for this badge, i just did it now and my opinion is done
my badge will jump from the " i do not know" box to the " i don't like" box not a big problem
impossible to buy a french beer for its price!!!! eventually a "café":D

for the mark i have checked the maker section too but ????

Alan O 23-10-18 05:28 PM

The 9th Lancers did not have a brass badge authorised in 1916 and never wore such a thing to my knowledge. Gaylor's list which has it on it is proven rubbish.

Luke H 23-10-18 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 457743)
The 9th Lancers did not have a brass badge authorised in 1916 and never wore such a thing to my knowledge. Gaylor's list which has it on it is proven rubbish.

Alan,

I agree. My post showing the brass badge was intended to demonstrate the dubious nature of the die. I’m of the opinion these badges are from a Gaunt circa 1970s repro die rather than an original die that was reused at a later date.

Luke

verdun 25-10-18 08:18 AM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cap-Badge...xUo:rk:36:pf:0

what about this story in the seller's description ?

Luke H 25-10-18 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdun (Post 457820)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cap-Badge...xUo:rk:36:pf:0

what about this story in the seller's description ?

A load of baloney. From a quick glance through his listings I’m seeing out-and-out fakes. His claim of collecting them over 30 years ago is laughable, if any of are more than 10 years old then I’m a Dutchman.

mike c 26-10-18 07:34 PM

Fake badges

What I don't understand is how these people have 100% feedback scores,can anyone tell me how these scores are reached by these people.

grenadierguardsman 26-10-18 07:43 PM

Heres mine.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=160785
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=160786
Andy

Luke H 26-10-18 07:44 PM

Lovely badge Andy!

grenadierguardsman 26-10-18 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 458005)
Lovely badge Andy!

Thanks Luke.
Andy