British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1st S.A.M.R. - The White Horse of Hanover (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41668)

sabrigade 11-09-14 07:12 AM

1st S.A.M.R. - The White Horse of Hanover

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 112348

Attachment 112349

Attachment 112350

This formed part of a display I set up to commemorate the anniversary of the Battle of Sandfontein and specifically the South African Mounted Rifles.

In a previous post Andrew Dinnes asked about a photograph regarding the manner in which the badge was worn.

The sergeant's photograph I found in a contemporary newspaper in my research section at home.

Traist 11-09-14 10:03 AM

Thanks William. I found some info in Grahamstown regarding this. The silver badges were worn as per your picture. When they ran out, they were issued with white metal badges that faced the opposite way. This appears to have happened post WW1. Regards Andrew

Frank Kelley 11-09-14 11:11 AM

Gentlemen,
These appear very similar indeed to those worn by the 3rd Kings Own Hussars!

iaindh 11-09-14 03:25 PM

Hi Frank,

not the W Yorkshire Regt without the scroll?

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 277058)
Gentlemen,
These appear very similar indeed to those worn by the 3rd Kings Own Hussars!

Frank Kelley 11-09-14 04:30 PM

LOL Iain,
Are you suggesting that the SAMR, a regiment venerated throughout the civilized world, would merely have got hold of a few West Yorkshire's and cut them in two!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 277095)
Hi Frank,

not the W Yorkshire Regt without the scroll?

regards, Iain

iaindh 11-09-14 05:33 PM

Frank,

no, not suggesting, merely pointing out a likeness. Incidentally, the Durban LI initially had a Durham LI badge.
I wonder if, because the badges were made in the UK that the makers slipped them in to save "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.
I seem to recall reading in the history of the Natal Mounted Rifles that the badge of 1902 - 1913 was also a white horse of Hanover and although not a copy the horse is certainly very similar to the "Kings."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 277102)
LOL Iain,
Are you suggesting that the SAMR, a regiment venerated throughout the civilized world, would merely have got hold of a few West Yorkshire's and cut them in two!:D

Frank Kelley 11-09-14 05:39 PM

Hello Iain,
You must forgive my sense of humour,
I think you have hit the nail on the head, these were certainly not made in South Africa, they would have been made here and it rather does beg the question, what exactly are they.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 277108)
Frank,

no, not suggesting, merely pointing out a likeness. Incidentally, the Durban LI initially had a Durham LI badge.
I wonder if, because the badges were made in the UK that the makers slipped them in to save "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.
I seem to recall reading in the history of the Natal Mounted Rifles that the badge of 1902 - 1913 was also a white horse of Hanover and although not a copy the horse is certainly very similar to the "Kings."

iaindh 11-09-14 06:00 PM

No apology necessary; I have to be very careful of my own sense of humour as a lot of people are easily offended :confused:

kind regards, Iain

Frank Kelley 11-09-14 06:03 PM

LOL!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 277111)
No apology necessary; I have to be very careful of my own sense of humour as a lot of people are easily offended :confused:

kind regards, Iain

sabrigade 12-09-14 06:37 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, this badge was approved in 1902 by the War Office to worn by the CMR whose traditions and customs were maintained when they later formed the first regiment of the South African Mounted Rifles.

The badge was authorised for use by both the mounted and artillery branches.

This is specifically described in one of Curzon's books which I unfortunately do not have with me in South Sudan.

iaindh 12-09-14 10:05 AM

It's just interesting though, the likeness with the British badges.
I would love to know the history behind the adoption of the original CMR badge.

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrigade (Post 277151)
If my memory serves me correctly, this badge was approved in 1902 by the War Office to worn by the CMR whose traditions and customs were maintained when they later formed the first regiment of the South African Mounted Rifles.

The badge was authorised for use by both the mounted and artillery branches.

This is specifically described in one of Curzon's books which I unfortunately do not have with me in South Sudan.

sabrigade 12-09-14 10:36 AM

The examples I have all have silver proof marks and were made in the U.K.

Maybe someone has more information as it was definitely "adopted"?

Frank Kelley 13-09-14 07:23 AM

Hello William,
When you say "proof" marks, do you mean a full set of hallmarks and if so, what are they?
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrigade (Post 277166)
The examples I have all have silver proof marks and were made in the U.K.

Maybe someone has more information as it was definitely "adopted"?

sabrigade 15-09-14 08:33 AM

Hi Frank,

Will remove it from the frame when I get back to South Africa.

Regards,

Will

iaindh 19-09-14 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For interest, this is a W Yorks cap badge

Attachment 112848

Iain