British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   What is the difference ?? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64465)

Jackhr 22-09-17 11:31 PM

What is the difference ??

2 Attachment(s)
With these 2 badges wireless operator (WW1) and signallers badge same trade or different?? And does anyone have a wireless operators badge forsale :)

Cheers

fairlie63 23-09-17 02:56 AM

Jack,

The wireless badge you show is actually the colour patch of the Australian Wireless Signal Squadron in Mespotomia. Is the jacket it is sewn to WW1?

There was a wireless badge of white worsted on khaki which appears to be based entirely on the RAN wireless telegraphist non-substantive badge. This was worn by the Aust WSS but was unauthorised as far as I know.

I think both badges would be extremely rare.

The crossed flags were worn by visual signallers and telephonists, the winged thunderbolt by wireless operators. They were entirely different skills/trades.

Keith

Jackhr 23-09-17 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 421650)
Jack,

The wireless badge you show is actually the colour patch of the Australian Wireless Signal Squadron in Mespotomia. Is the jacket it is sewn to WW1?

There was a wireless badge of white worsted on khaki which appears to be based entirely on the RAN wireless telegraphist non-substantive badge. This was worn by the Aust WSS but was unauthorised as far as I know.

I think both badges would be extremely rare.

The crossed flags were worn by visual signallers and telephonists, the winged thunderbolt by wireless operators. They were entirely different skills/trades.

Keith

Yes Keith the tunic belongs to a mate of my dad and is all original and direct from the family ( I know it is always said ) but in this case yes . So that badge /patch was only worn by them ??

Thanks

badgecollector 23-09-17 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 421651)
Yes Keith the tunic belongs to a mate of my dad and is all original and direct from the family ( I know it is always said ) but in this case yes . So that badge /patch was only worn by them ??

Thanks

yes jack
and that uniform and patch are awesome. any chance of getting some other pics of it
bc

fairlie63 23-09-17 05:49 AM

No 1 Wireless Company VDC did seek authority to wear this colour patch in late 1942 or early 1943 because the OC and some others had been former members of Aust WSS during the Great War. Not certain whether they were successful or not, or whether they wore it anyway.

Jackhr 23-09-17 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 421653)
yes jack
and that uniform and patch are awesome. any chance of getting some other pics of it
bc

Just have 1 other enjoy:p