British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SMALL NEWFOUNDLAND (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42923)

LONGSHANKS 20-11-14 05:12 PM

SMALL NEWFOUNDLAND

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all, good evening

I am calling for the experienced Newfoundland collectors to pass their eye's over this for me. I picked this up, and to be honest very surprised when I did. I have been after one for some time and never expect to win any bid's on them.

As I did, it made me suspicious and just would feel more comfortable if a couple of members who know their Newfoundlander's would say yay or nay for me.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help.

Simon.

badgecollector 20-11-14 09:27 PM

hi simon
sorry to say but i dont like it. its cast when it shouldnt be
bc

LONGSHANKS 21-11-14 08:20 AM

Hi BC, thanks for that, really appreciate your help.

Yes, that was the feature that I felt was the big issue. Seem's no one else has an opinion, so I'll leave it for a couple more day's. But based on your confirmation of the cast look I'll send it back and stay with my post 1952 version.

Thanks again for your solitary input after a 116 views:confused: I'm surprised as the Canadians are usually all over these one's. Maybe I should open up another screen name as a new member and post badges...........:rolleyes:

Anyway, cheers

Regards

Simon.

Paul Spellman 21-11-14 08:36 AM

Hi Simon
Sorry I cannot help you with this badge, try posting it in the Canadian section.
Paul

LONGSHANKS 21-11-14 09:05 AM

Hi Paul.
Yeah, maybe. But I would imagine Newfoundland in the title would have them all over it. As I said though, I have doubts before posting, just wanted it confirmed.

I'll try and have it switched, or start another in that section. I don't buy Canadian badges, and forget theres a section for them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers mate

Simon.

Pylon1357 21-11-14 11:29 AM

Well I will chime in here as a novice in regards to this badge.

I personally do not like the fact it is cast. I know there are stamped variants of this badge, as I have seen them. Therefore in my peanut little brain, I would steer clear of it.

Sorry you have not had much chatter about this one.

LONGSHANKS 21-11-14 12:11 PM

Thanks Pylon.

I'll wait until Sunday night for a general consensus; but I think I'll pack it to ship back.

Cheers

Simon.

2747andy 21-11-14 03:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS (Post 286438)
Hi BC, thanks for that, really appreciate your help.

Yes, that was the feature that I felt was the big issue. Seem's no one else has an opinion, so I'll leave it for a couple more day's. But based on your confirmation of the cast look I'll send it back and stay with my post 1952 version.

Thanks again for your solitary input after a 116 views:confused: I'm surprised as the Canadians are usually all over these one's. Maybe I should open up another screen name as a new member and post badges...........:rolleyes:

Anyway, cheers

Regards

Simon.

Simon,
do I detect a hint of paranoia? Perhaps it has been because people have not, or are yet to view your post? Or simply they don't know the answer you are looking for? Just because they are not paid up members of your fan club or on your Christmas Card list, is not an indication that you are being ignored! Some members hold back for fear of being shot down in flames or making an error! However most respond in time as their replies benefit everyone! My excuse is that I've been away (staying with great friends)!

These badges are quite scarce and often fetch £100-150, they come die struck in both Gm and also blackened, there are some subtle die variations and also a "Framed" base scroll version and almost flat backed (lower two). I suspect the one I show in the center is an officer's (?) brooched Gilt example as I don't always automatically sign up for "Brooch fitting = Sweetheart"!

I think, as already muted above that your badge is cast and although not necessarily a fake, as it could be theater made, it is certainly not one of the issued examples?

Best Regards

Andy

LONGSHANKS 21-11-14 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 286483)
Some members hold back for fear of being shot down inflames or making an error!

No, no troubles with a christmas card list, just highlighting in another way maybe an issue of the last 12 to 18 months or so you mention above, I couldn't agree anymore and something I and many others have pointed out a few times. I feel reducing much of the enjoyable banter that was the forum.

Anyway, thanks for the input Andy.

Cheers

TRT 21-11-14 04:22 PM

Too aid paranoia here's my view. Don't like the casting and non voided antlers.
Not for me.

TRT

Bill A 21-11-14 04:48 PM

Coming at this another way, I have only seen this example as a cast badge. All of the Newfoundland badges I have dealt with (approx 20) have been strikings.
One of the Brit reproducer's has a brass copy, but I am not sure if it is cast.

LONGSHANKS 21-11-14 05:05 PM

Thanks Bill, just what I was looking for.

Cheers

whizzbang 21-11-14 06:54 PM

Hi Simon,

Don't forget that Canada deliberately waited an extra week beyond the British to declare war on Germany in 1939, so getting comments from us only a day later is pretty good!

I agree with Bill, never seen a cast one, send it back!

Cheers, Ian.

LONGSHANKS 23-11-14 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whizzbang (Post 286525)
Hi Simon,

Don't forget that Canada deliberately waited an extra week beyond the British to declare war on Germany in 1939, so getting comments from us only a day later is pretty good!

I agree with Bill, never seen a cast one, send it back!

Cheers, Ian.

Hi Ian, but as in '39, well worth the wait......:D Thanks for the input, and yes; packed and ready to go back. Already had the refund.

Thanks for your positive input.

Cheers

Simon.

NFLDREGT 24-11-14 04:48 AM

NEWFOUNDLAND BADGE

Hi

Sorry just noticed your post. Between work and the kids not much me time. Can you give me the exact dimensions taken with a calipers? I'm sure we will find a bit smaller than standard. In the pictures it doesn't look horrible but I don't believe that a cast version was ever officially issued but it is possible that someone had some made up and actually wore it. I always collect variants no matter how off they might be if the price is right . So as a cast copy at a tenner OK but not a lot more than that.

Regards

Don