British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Incoming badge packet? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80531)

kingsley 29-08-20 11:09 PM

Incoming badge packet?

For 20 years or more I have been selling or trading the odd badge from Australia to UK using small padded envelopes with a Customs Declaration sticker. The cost has been AUD$3.20 for Economy Air but Australia Post has used Covid 19 as an excuse to abolish this service and charge $25 for Airmail Parcel Post. This is too much for a $5 badge but I can still send documents by Economy Air in an identical sized envelope.
What would UK Customs do if I sent you a padded envelope with a badge inside and no customs declaration?

Tinto 29-08-20 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 520894)
For 20 years or more I have been selling or trading the odd badge from Australia to UK using small padded envelopes with a Customs Declaration sticker. The cost has been AUD$3.20 for Economy Air but Australia Post has used Covid 19 as an excuse to abolish this service and charge $25 for Airmail Parcel Post. This is too much for a $5 badge but I can still send documents by Economy Air in an identical sized envelope.
What would UK Customs do if I sent you a padded envelope with a badge inside and no customs declaration?

Good question. I have sent badges in a padded envelope with no declaration (no more than 1cm thick) and they have arrived safely.
Cheers, John

Home Guard 30-08-20 01:59 AM

I experience the same thing here in the states. I used ot be able to send a packet to the UK for $4 dollars or so. Now the cheapest is $14.50!

Re your specific question I can tell you that in the US I would not be able to mail the package. It would probably be confiscated and I'd be put under surveillance or even picked up as a terrorist!

Terry

fairlie63 30-08-20 03:37 AM

It's always cost me AUD$18 to send small packet envelopes from Tasmania to UK. That's not even with tracked, although they give a tracking number which doesn't work outside oz apparently.
Keith

btns 30-08-20 11:31 AM

One ebay seller from Germany crashed into a new postal rule: documents can be sent by envelope. All objects have to be sent in a box at a special, high rate.
His small box at international letter rate was refused.

It is supposed to be an anti terrorist decision.
I think it ends international trading of small, cheap collectables.

cbuehler 30-08-20 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 520903)
I experience the same thing here in the states. I used ot be able to send a packet to the UK for $4 dollars or so. Now the cheapest is $14.50!

Re your specific question I can tell you that in the US I would not be able to mail the package. It would probably be confiscated and I'd be put under surveillance or even picked up as a terrorist!

Terry

Indeed this is the case, which is why I really can't offer my spare badges for sale anymore. The postage either exceeds the value of the badge or is close to it!

CB