British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   First badge . . ! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87404)

grumpy 22-11-21 04:22 PM

A whole belt-full of cap badges Second World War collected for me by my RAF father. I can see them now: Royal Sussex, Isle of White Rifles, RE, RA, several Foot Guards .......

When I left home they stayed at home.

Somehow they disappeared, along with my school annual photos [600 boys in each, seven years worth] and my blue, big, smelly Teddy bear called Husband.

I only discovered them to be missing when I cleared the house after the second parent died.

Regrets, I've had a few .................

Sonofacqms 22-11-21 06:48 PM

Early days of collecting

Not long after my start into badge collecting an old (well he was to me) chap from Stratford, East London used to visit us for tea having walked seven on eight miles around the villages.

This happened once a year and him seeing my OXO tin of badges said he had some badges and he would bring them down on the next visit, when they arrived I was slightly disappointed as there was only one British cap badge, The Rangers, 12th London Regt and a Canadian General Service, all the others were Grenade/RF/CITYOFLONDON with some T/2's, all shoulder titles.

After a few years I moved these on to a lady who had an antique shop along with another title AMR which I have later found out was Army Motor Reserve and a few other "T" titles.

I have replaced the London titles, but have never seen an AMR, so if you have one I am interested . . !

Since my parents have died along with all of their generation I have found a postcard sent from Rifleman Pheasy, 12th London Regt, sent during the Great War, I still have his cap badge.

Rob

bess55 23-11-21 09:16 AM

Would be my Dad's RAF cap badge and GSM for Malaya. He was based at RAF Changi during the insurgency and was part of the casevac teams going 'up country' flying back wounded to the RAF hospital in Singapore.

Luke H 23-11-21 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 565485)

After a few years I moved these on to a lady who had an antique shop along with another title AMR which I have later found out was Army Motor Reserve and a few other "T" titles.

I have replaced the London titles, but have never seen an AMR, so if you have one I am interested . . !

Since my parents have died along with all of their generation I have found a postcard sent from Rifleman Pheasy, 12th London Regt, sent during the Great War, I still have his cap badge.

Rob

Recently I had an email conversation with a dealer about the Army Motor Reserve as he’d just won a lot at auction containing an officers quality badge of a wheel on ‘Subitio’ transected by a horizontal arrow. The badge is either a pouch or possibly very large collar badge to the AMR according to David Kellock.

In Badges of the Empire’s Waggoners there is a picture of a private of the AMR’s predecessor the Motor Volunteer Corps wearing a cap badge which appears significantly smaller than his collar badges somewhat bizarrely.

Any way I digress, from that exchange I understand they disappeared before WW1 and were always rather small in number so it’s perhaps not surprising another title hasn’t surfaced.

I should like to see a picture of the 12th London badge if I may. I’m always interested in identifying WW1 worn/produced dies.

P.S. my first badge was also a GvR RE.