British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   19th century photo of a relative. (from martin) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14566)

140682 30-01-11 02:52 PM

19th century photo of a relative. (from martin)

hi , i am new to this site and came across it while trying to find a regiment from a mid 19th century photo of a relitive. he has no hat on and i have an outline of a collar badge on the photo. it was taken in plymouth and i wonder if this has any significance. i am not sure how to post a photo on here, any help much appreciated. regards martin

jeep 30-01-11 03:50 PM

Hi Martin, and welcome to the forum. You have come to right place to find out anything about badges.
To attach a picture, click the little paper clip from the toolbar at the top of the 'reply' option, 'Browse' to find your jpeg on your computer and click 'upload'. Simple as that.

Peter J 30-01-11 04:17 PM

Welcome, Martin.

PJ

paj1 30-01-11 04:48 PM

Hi martin you have come to the right place for info on badges ect
welcome from paj1

140682 02-02-11 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thaks for your kind comments im not sure if i have attached ok. the guys name is MCKEE, he was originally from scotland but he must have moved about for the photo to have been taken in plymouth. i printed out a copy of the pic and drew round the collar badge and it seemed to resemble a cat or lion. look forward to your expertise. thanks martin

matti467 02-02-11 07:35 PM

Having had a look, I am going to suggest another animal, a sheep. Is it the Paschal Lamb of the Queens Roayl Regiment, West Surrey? It is certainly a largish looking beast.
Matti

Charlie585 02-02-11 07:54 PM

Hi Martin welcome to the forum,

Given the Scottish link, could this be the Gordon Highlanders,Churchill 1705.

I can't guess at the reason for the plymouth link I'm afraid and I reckon it's eaten your sheep Matti!

Regards
Ry

matti467 02-02-11 08:09 PM

Ry,
It was but a lamb to the slaughter...
Matti

Charlie585 02-02-11 08:35 PM

Maybe the Plymouth (Devon) connection points towards it being the Bodmin Beast! It's certainly big enough.

Seriously though, having had another look I can't make out if there is either Ground or a Torse present, it doesn't appear so.

The only other free standing WM Tiger I can find is Hampshire Vols Churchill 1027.

Ry

matti467 02-02-11 09:06 PM

How about the Yorks and Lancs. I have checked the West Surreys and cannot find any mention of them being in the Devon area, though a general location of England does crop up. Is the uniform right for Gordons?
Matti

Charlie585 02-02-11 09:17 PM

A possibility Matti,

I ruled out (1584) due to ground and had considered (1593) as well ruled out for the same reason.

Not a clue on the uniform as yet, as a long shot I did consider Hamps Vols given that they had yellow and later white facings and thought maybe (996) given that it is a free standing tiger but Churchil describes this badge as "Brass".

It would be of great help if anyone could carry out a search on the name to see if anything can be matched to a unit, should there be a facility to do so available for this period.

Ry

Lampwick 02-02-11 09:33 PM

It's very like the 'Tiger' pouch badge for the 17th Foot, though why he'd wear it on his collar is another matter. Another contender is the Leicestershires.

Charlie585 02-02-11 09:49 PM

Just had a look at Westlake's "Tracing the Rifle Volunteers", not sure if it helps but he states if I am correct that the 1st VB Gordon Highlanders formerly 1st Aberdeenshire RV had yellow facings and fought alongside the regulars in South Africa.

If it turns out to that this chap was Gordon Highlanders maybe the photo was taken prior to embarkation early in the campaign which may explain him being in the south of England. (Mis-read initial post regarding date, please disregard this statement)

The book contains a picture of Colonel Lachlan Mckinnion, Commander 1st VB G/H 1904-1906 he is pictured wearing large but Bullion Tiger Collar badges.

???

Ry

Peter J 02-02-11 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 140682 (Post 98997)
thaks for your kind comments im not sure if i have attached ok. the guys name is MCKEE, he was originally from scotland but he must have moved about for the photo to have been taken in plymouth. i printed out a copy of the pic and drew round the collar badge and it seemed to resemble a cat or lion. look forward to your expertise. thanks martin

Martin,

Do we have a Christian name for Sgt. McKee?

PJ

140682 02-02-11 10:42 PM

from martin

thanks for all your replies. idid look at the leicesters but was not convinced as i think he came from scotland. as i said earlier ,i did print a copy off on normal paper and drew the outlines? i will try and find a first name tommorow and also a place of birth. will post again as soon as i find any more .