British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   CANADIAN BAGES post 1953 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8936)

Bill A 13-01-10 08:44 PM

CANADIAN BAGES post 1953

The B&CMBF is growing again. Mike has added an index for post 1953 badges. Please review the list and make sure it is accurate. Images are the next step. Good quality scans or images of badges will be added as members submit them. The queen's crown issue is more complex than anticipated when one examines the varieties of badges. QC badges have been on issue now for 57 years, longer than the kc issue. There are early qc, pre unification, the dark ages of the 70's through the 90's and then the more recent issues. Added to this are the designation changes and the other ranks and officer's badges. The aim is to include caps, collars, shoulder titles metal and cloth, breast badges, etc, specific to the unit, regiment, branch or corps. We will have to work out some guidelines for classification. For example I don't think RCAF CAF squadron patches should be included in this index, but could be in one of their own. JF Chalifoux has a pretty good site for those already, and there are others on the net. Open to the memberships thoughts...
It will take time to develop the post 53 reference, and as many collectors do not have as serious an interest in the time period it will be an on-going project.
Please send images to me or Mike for posting.

marway_Jaime 13-01-10 09:03 PM

Hi Bill, as always, you're welcome to pull any image off our website www.marway-militaria.com if you find it will help the project.
And you're right Jf's site is a great reference.
Jaime

LLWill 13-01-10 10:21 PM

Post 53 Badges

Here we go again!!! Great to see another project!!!!

For the Images - The ones that I have been submitting are a GIF with a transparent background and 600 pixels in height.

What is required for this index - I can do some of the work on editing the images if you want. Basically what format, size and style should the submissions be - if we get this known now it will save a lot of work in the future

Larry

Mike 14-01-10 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLWill (Post 56928)
Here we go again!!! Great to see another project!!!!

For the Images - The ones that I have been submitting are a GIF with a transparent background and 600 pixels in height.

What is required for this index - I can do some of the work on editing the images if you want. Basically what format, size and style should the submissions be - if we get this known now it will save a lot of work in the future

Larry

Hi Larry, big is always better, resizing takes no time at all. Just the same as the CEF images you have sent in the past, they're perfect

David Tremain 14-01-10 03:17 AM

12e Regiment du Blinde

Shouldn't that be 12e Regiment Blinde du Canada? Sorry, haven't figured out how to put the accents in on this new laptop.

highlandas 14-01-10 03:43 AM

Send me a link or email and I will do what I can. Still new here and not sure how to upload large files. I thought I could send them to someone and let them do their magic.

Chris
williamcwarnick@cogeco.ca

Bwetdude 14-01-10 05:01 AM

It's 12e Régiment Blindé (du Canada ?)

see website

If you put "de", "Blindé" would take a "s" because you suppose that there is more than one tank....

Régiment de la Chaudière (è)

Didn't check the English regiments......

Bill A 14-01-10 12:38 PM

Hello everyone, Please send me or post the corrections and I will accumulate them for editing. The same for images. Members can not directly post images to the page. They can be emailed to Mike, me and Larry Will will also clean up images and forward.

David Tremain 16-01-10 02:33 AM

Canadian Grenadier Guards

The illustration saying "Canadian Grenadier Guards" is in fact the Canadian Guards, a different regiment entirely. The Canadian Grenadier Guards has the same exploding grenade as the British Grenadiers, only with the cipher on it.
David

Darrell 16-06-11 01:20 AM

Online DND Link

Hi

Another possible reference:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-.../index-eng.asp

Be warned that DND changes addresses every now and again.

regards
Darrell

Michael Dorosh 15-10-12 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 56912)
The B&CMBF is growing again. Mike has added an index for post 1953 badges. Please review the list and make sure it is accurate. Images are the next step. Good quality scans or images of badges will be added as members submit them. The queen's crown issue is more complex than anticipated when one examines the varieties of badges. QC badges have been on issue now for 57 years, longer than the kc issue. There are early qc, pre unification, the dark ages of the 70's through the 90's and then the more recent issues. Added to this are the designation changes and the other ranks and officer's badges. The aim is to include caps, collars, shoulder titles metal and cloth, breast badges, etc, specific to the unit, regiment, branch or corps. We will have to work out some guidelines for classification. For example I don't think RCAF CAF squadron patches should be included in this index, but could be in one of their own. JF Chalifoux has a pretty good site for those already, and there are others on the net. Open to the memberships thoughts...
It will take time to develop the post 53 reference, and as many collectors do not have as serious an interest in the time period it will be an on-going project.
Please send images to me or Mike for posting.

Your post never actually states explicitly that this:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can.../index_a_k.htm

is what you are talking about. :) Had to look around the site for awhile before realizing the links are up in the top right-hand corner of the page.

What are the terms of reference of the projects? I see a copyright notice but nothing else. I guess I'm wondering what the intent of the project is, and the availability of the images therein for re-use by others (for example, adding to Wikipedia articles that lack badge images).

Bill A 15-10-12 05:55 PM

Michael, the location of the galleries was changed since the original post. The badge galleries are intended to be references for collectors and researchers. Images have been used by individuals for personal projects (after getting permission).