British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Terence Antony Podesta R.I.A.S.C. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73925)

High Wood 27-05-19 04:58 PM

Terence Antony Podesta R.I.A.S.C.

3 Attachment(s)
359388 Lt (W.S. Captain) Terence Antony Podesta. Royal Indian Army Service Corps, later Royal Army Service Corps. Emergency Commission Indian Army 17/02/1942. Captain 25/04/1948. relinquished his commission 25/09/1950 and granted the honorary rank of Major.

High Wood 28-05-19 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pre-commission.

High Wood 28-05-19 07:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)

MarkGD 28-05-19 08:32 AM

HW, lovely photo's thanks for sharing, Regards Mark

leigh kitchen 28-05-19 08:43 AM

I've never seen a photo showing the officer cadet's white band around the ToS before - I'm not suggesting it's an unusual practise, I've just not seen it before.

Royal 28-05-19 11:16 AM

Is he a relative of his namesake Bob (ex 22 SAS) - there's definitely a family resemblance...?

There are no PERSEC issues here, he's not exactly shy about posting his own details and pictures online.

High Wood 28-05-19 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal (Post 479570)
Is he a relative of his namesake Bob (ex 22 SAS) - there's definitely a family resemblance...?

There are no PERSEC issues here, he's not exactly shy about posting his own details and pictures online.

Having just googled him I agree that there is a family resemblance.

Postwarden 29-05-19 06:12 PM

A nice group of photos showing one man's progress. Interesting that he lost his specs between officer cadet and commission.

Jon

Mike B 29-05-19 07:12 PM

The migration of wing from arm to above right breast pocket is interesting - is there any similar relevance to raiding forces re operational jump experience please?
Mike

High Wood 29-05-19 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 479709)
The migration of wing from arm to above right breast pocket is interesting - is there any similar relevance to raiding forces re operational jump experience please?
Mike

It seems to have been a peculiarity of Indian Airborne Forces to wear them on the chest. I have several other photographs in my collection of them being worn on the chest. However, the photograph showing the wings being worn on the sleeve, (post 1),was taken later than the other two and in England.

MarkGD 30-05-19 05:59 AM

Wings on Chest above medals on the left breast, could it be this was an early occurrence of foreign wings on the the right? appreciate it is India. Regards Mark

Mike B 30-05-19 09:15 AM

High Wood and Mark
Many thanks for the interesting observations. I had not realised the image in post one predated the others (I guess it shows a crown - on closer inspection you can see the three lots of pip holes too) - very interesting thread.
Mike

Postwarden 30-05-19 10:16 AM

From my book "Badges on Battle Dress"

Jon

Parachute wings for airborne forces in India, first mentioned in 1942, were officially announced in mid-January 1943. To qualify for the badge, described by a 1943 amendment to India’s 1939 Clothing Regulations as ‘cloth, worked with pale blue wings and a white parachute on a background of black material’ a soldier had to make a specified number of parachute drops. Awarded on the authority of the Parachute Brigade’s commander, the badge was to be worn on the right upper arm, two inches from the point of the shoulder on the shirt, battle dress blouse, service dress jacket and gabardine jacket by all qualified Parachute Brigade parachutists, all instructors regularly employed at a recognised parachute school and by members of the Parachute Training Centre Technical Development Section.

Revised instructions in February 1945 instructed all qualified parachutists of airborne units and parachute instructors regularly employed at the parachute training school and Indian Airborne Forces Depot to wear the regular parachutists’ badge - now described as having a dark blue background - on the right breast immediately above and in line with the centre of the pocket those qualified wearing it permanently even if no longer regular parachutists.

High Wood 30-05-19 10:54 AM

William "Bill" Travers, second photograph down on the right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Travers

Mike B 30-05-19 02:20 PM

Jon
Still reading your two volumes - obviously I have more gems to uncover.
Thanks for the clarification.
Mike

High Wood - interesting re Bill Travers
Mike