British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Royal Observer Corps - Proficiency patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58804)

wasaraftype 22-12-16 03:43 PM

Royal Observer Corps - Proficiency patches

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, to any R.O.C buffs out there?

Can someone aid me regarding gold proficiency patches?

I have a R.O.C gold star patch but on a blue/grey background (I also have this patch type on the later issued dark navy background).

What is confusing me is that Wikipedia states the gold Spitfire patch (and therefore I assume the gold star) was authorised in 1988 but could be retrospectively awarded.

if this assumption is correct then my Gold star patch on blue/grey should not exist (and therefore any gold blue/grey Spitfire too). Has anyone ever seen a Gold Spitfire patch using the older background colour?

I really want to know if the Gold blue/grey Spitfire patch exists so I can stop looking or keep looking for it.

Any help resolving this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wooffy 22-12-16 06:52 PM

Hi Warsaraftype.

I've been collecting to the Observer Corps /Royal Observer Corps for a while now, and like you have the star on the older pre-1972 grey fabric (as per the one you have illustrated). I have never come across the gold spitfire for 25 master test passes on the grey backing, and find the production of the star a bit of a misnomer really - for the reasons you cite.

I've also never come across a reference to one. I cant definitively say that one doesnt exist, but the reality is that the time line of approval and production would lead one to conclude it shouldn't; and if it does I doubt it was ever officially issued.

wasaraftype 03-01-17 06:51 PM

ROC Proficiency patches

Hi Wooffy,

Thanks for your reply. My apologies for the delay; I have not been able to access a computer for a while.

Like you, I am at a loss to know why the Gold star exists on both a blue/grey & dark background.

Nobody else has replied to this thread so I now assume the Gold Spitfire patch only exists on a dark background.

Hopefully somebody out there will prove me wrong.

Regards

Observer 23-11-18 09:28 AM

Gold Spitfire

I can confirm that the both the gold Spitfire & gold star exist on both grey and blue backings. Why I don't know however - I have the uniform of a confirmed recipient of the gold spitfire and they are on grey backing material.

dragon166 23-11-18 01:10 PM

Can you post a pic of the uniform showing the star being worn? It maybe that the gold star was instituted on blue/grey to indicate further test passes and later the gold spitfire badge was issued, that doesn't mean that the gold spit was ever issued on blue/grey.
Dave

Wooffy 23-11-18 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave

Two images here - the first shows John Harding with the Gold Spitfire and 2 Gold Stars on the Post 1977 Dark Blue backing. The second, which I know is Black and White, shows Fred Hemingway also with the Gold Spitfire on the Post 1977 backing and 2 Gold stars, on the lighter backing. I have a different photo of Fred, in colour, but for the life of me - at this point in time - I cannot lay my hands on it. You can distinguish the different backing colours though even in the B&W image. I will find the colour image in due course and post it here.

I have still never seen a Gold Spitfire on the pre-1977 backing material, either on or off uniform!

Best wishes

Dave

Observer 23-11-18 09:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I note in an earlier post that Wikipedia states the gold Spitfire was instituted in 1988 - I frankly doubt this - I have the uniform of Joe James BEM (who I knew well and served with) who received his gold spitfire in 1979 - his badges are on the RAF blue/grey background. I attach a picture of his jacket which clearly illustrates the gold spitfires on grey with shoulder titles on the later blue backing. Whilst I cannot offer a date for the introduction of the gold spitfire or a reason why it is available on blue/grey & bark blue background (unless the general rule of blue/grey being pre 1977 and dark blue being post 1977 as with all other ROC insignia) I know beyond doubt that the the gold spitfire badges on Joe's uniform are those issued by HQ ROC in 1979. I also have another (loose) example which came from a different source. I hope the attached images are of interest in resolving this query.

Wooffy 23-11-18 10:06 PM

That is great - many thanks!

...and I note that the ones shown attached to the uniform seem to be of the same design that Basil Rookery illustrated in his booklet on OC/ROC uniforms

dragon166 23-11-18 10:22 PM

Thanks very much for the pics, this is the first time I have ever seen a blue/grey gold spitfire - so we do now need to find one - damn!!!! Just have to find out date of introduction now.
Dave