British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinions about Leinster economy and 'Welsh' feathers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20435)

jeanpit-frenchy 28-10-11 09:43 AM

Opinions about Leinster economy and 'Welsh' feathers

4 Attachment(s)
i can buy them for 12 GBP(each), what did you think about them, rare economy and rare scroll ich dien

original ? restricke ?, copy ?

thank you for your help

Alan O 28-10-11 10:00 AM

The all brass one is a copy. Sorry but the Gaunt mark is a fake.

Alan O 28-10-11 10:00 AM

The welsh feathers look ok. Does it has a brasing hole on the back?

Chrisr 28-10-11 11:51 AM

Jean,

I agree with Alan regarding the all brass badge that it is a dud, given the name on the slider.

I have one the same as your first photo, ie the BIM badge. It has a brazing hole behind the coronet, but it lacks the clear definition on the rear as does yours. I am inclined to think mine is a dud, but hopefully someone will disagree with me!!

My other Leinster, with the sharp angled "ich dien" has a much clearer definition to the rear and brazeholes, the brass parts being overlaid with the wm.

Regards
Chris

John Mulcahy 28-10-11 12:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I believe that Alan is fully correct in his input.

If the curved scross has a brazing hole as in my example shown below.

Also note that for this variant the scroll is not always perfectly attached to the feathers, it is often found "not squarly" attached but angled and/or offset. (as this example below).

John

Nozzer 28-10-11 01:18 PM

The all brass one, as has already been said, is a copy and is the same as mine:(:(.

The BM one is what I believe was issued in WW1

Andy

jeanpit-frenchy 28-10-11 02:15 PM

thank you for your help gentlemen :)

i have the same opinion about the all brass with guaunt (dot) london

about the bim, i dont know if a brazing hole is behind the slider ?

I am worried by the vagueness of the strike :(

cheers

jp

John Mulcahy 28-10-11 02:43 PM

I do not see the same vagueness of strike in the BM as mentioned earlier, the photo is not as sharp as it could be. I have only ever seen this faked as a poor obvious cast item (so far).

JP I assume you can ask a question or get a photo to clarify the question.

Hearsay is that this version is a WW1 emergency type issue using a Welsh Rgt (apologies if it should be Welch) POW feather with Lenister title. Never seen anything official to support or reject this theory.

John

jeanpit-frenchy 28-10-11 03:14 PM

Quote:

JP I assume you can ask a question or get a photo to clarify the question.

John
i wait after a better picture of the reverse :D

cheers

jp

jeanpit-frenchy 28-10-11 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
below the picture...

for me a brazing holes under the slider :)

Alan O 29-10-11 09:53 AM

The brasing hole, the solid backed scroll and the style of feathers are correct for the WW1 variant of the badge. Why this variation occured is not clear but it is likley that it was a sub-contractor by using Welsh regt dies.

£12 is a good price for this badge.

Alan

Alan O 02-06-13 03:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I recently came across this all brass badge. I am in 2 minds about it. The bad bit is the glossy front but the sldier and reverse patina are good signs. I would value any one's opinions.

2747andy 02-06-13 04:28 PM

Alan,
it looks OK and a scarce badge too!

Andy

Alan O 02-06-13 05:32 PM

£26 well spent then?

2747andy 02-06-13 05:40 PM

Probably less than a quarter of it's value?

Andy