British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Police (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   SA Constabulary (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13263)

Traist 06-11-10 11:50 AM

SA Constabulary

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike, as promised here is a picture of my South African Constabulary badges. Regards Andrew

POL_AIR_1 27-07-11 04:16 PM

Hi Andrew,
Great collection. It's great to see so many items still around more than 100 years later.
Hopefully as time goes on I will come across a few more of these badges for sale.
Regards,
Matt

Traist 27-07-11 05:27 PM

Hi Matt, thank you. Some SAC badges come up often, others are almost impossible to get. You should pick some up in Australia as lots of badges went back there after the Boer War. The SAC was also made up from lots of guys from all over, not just South Africans. Funnily enough lots of them were Canadian, but also from the UK and Australia. Regards Andrew

POL_AIR_1 07-08-11 04:32 AM

Thanks Andrew.
I've managed so far to get the white metal hat badges for SAC with the voided centre and the solid centre. I purchased a slouch white metal slouch hat badge from South Africa which I am still waiting to arrive.

Unfortunately we dont have many coin/medal dealers here in Adelaide, but I will keep my eyes open on the net and may even post a wanted ad in the forum.

Cheers,
Matt

Traist 19-01-12 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I just recived these badges, and am happy to add them to my collection. The badge with the feathers is original as is. I once saw a photo of another SAC badge with feathers, so it looks like maybe that is how it was worn, at least by some. Regards Andrew

7923BSAP 19-01-12 08:07 PM

Excellent badges, first time I have seen one with feathers
Bill

QSAMIKE 19-01-12 10:14 PM

Fantastic Badges...... Did the seller have duplicates????? LOL

Mike

POL_AIR_1 19-01-12 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 151245)
Hi, I just recived these badges, and am happy to add them to my collection. The badge with the feathers is original as is. I once saw a photo of another SAC badge with feathers, so it looks like maybe that is how it was worn, at least by some. Regards Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Great badges!!
I have a document here that talks about soldiers of the SAC having a dislike to the blank centre on the voided Queen Victoria badge. Apparently they would unofficially fix things to the centre such as plumes &/or collar badges.

If the other soldiers were doing this with badges of the same period, maybe this would explain the medical department badge?

Just a thought.
Regards,
Matt

Traist 20-01-12 05:43 AM

Thank you all for the comments,and thank you Matt for the info. I was lucky to get these badges. They were from two brothers who served in the SAC. Their decendants are now living in the UK. When they were offered to me, I couldn't say no. Sometimes you just have to be lucky. Regards Andrew

sabrigade 20-01-12 03:05 PM

Excellent finds Andrew!

The best information regarding the uniforms and insignia of the SAC is to be found in Baden-Powell's book: "LESSONS FROM THE VARSITY OF LIFE".

This is passage is from his book (Chapter 8, The South African Constabulary):

"In order to make the greater distinction from the Army headgear, the Constabulary hats were fitted with a feather cockade, termed in the trade "Jay's Wings." Although they were nothing more than chickens' feathers dyed green for the purpose, I received angry protests from bird lovers in England for massacring the race of jays."

QSAMIKE 20-01-12 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a very good chapter in the book, "No Colours, No Drums" on all the badges worn with some very good photographs......

When the display is open in the Glenbow Museum (May or June) I will get some photos of Sam Steele's, Dress (Green), Work (Blue) and Khaki uniforms with all his and other badges.....

Mike

My some of my badges.....

Traist 20-01-12 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info William, it was nice to pick the badge with the full backing. Mike, I look forward to those photos. Have a grand week-end. Regards Andrew

sabrigade 17-02-12 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 58896

Attachment 58897

New additions and re-arrangement of my SAC collection.

Traist 18-02-12 03:03 PM

It is looking good. Regards Andrew

QSAMIKE 18-02-12 04:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just to throw something else in.......

Uniform tunic to Captain Percy Falls SAC

Mike