British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Footy! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85666)

Frank Kelley 12-07-21 10:45 AM

Footy!

Really gutted by the result pf the match at Wembley last night and feel for the last man standing, who was just nineteen I think, but, hopefully they will learn and come back stronger in the future.

mike_vee 12-07-21 11:32 AM

Not good to be beaten on penalties but had mixed feelings about a couple of things.

Rashford should have just taken a 'normal' penalty , his 'stutter' run and 'pause' before kicking may be the latest tactic/trick but as the rules on keepers moving off the line before the ball is kicked was brought in I feel the rules on players trying to get the keeper to move before they kick the ball is also unfair. This isn't aimed at any specific player.

Also , some of the England team immediately removing their medals as soon as they were placed round their necks was unsportsman like and disrespectful.

I'm not really a football fan/follower but there are areas of the game I'd like to see changed.

1. Respect for referee : Crowding the ref to get a decision , not acceptable in Rugby so shouldn't be allowed in football. Any dissent - yellow card !

2. Yellow Card : Bring in the 10 minute 'sin bin' , players would be less likely to "take one for the team" (or dive !) if it could result in them being binned.

3. Off side : Any "clear" off sides should be immediately flagged , allowing play to continue could result in a player being tackled/injured needlessly.

Just my opinions but would stop a lot of the unprofessional behaviour that has become the norm nowadays.

oc14 12-07-21 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 554359)
Not good to be beaten on penalties but had mixed feelings about a couple of things.

Rashford should have just taken a 'normal' penalty , his 'stutter' run and 'pause' before kicking may be the latest tactic/trick but as the rules on keepers moving off the line before the ball is kicked was brought in I feel the rules on players trying to get the keeper to move before they kick the ball is also unfair. This isn't aimed at any specific player.

Also , some of the England team immediately removing their medals as soon as they were placed round their necks was unsportsman like and disrespectful.

I'm not really a football fan/follower but there are areas of the game I'd like to see changed.

1. Respect for referee : Crowding the ref to get a decision , not acceptable in Rugby so shouldn't be allowed in football. Any dissent - yellow card !

2. Yellow Card : Bring in the 10 minute 'sin bin' , players would be less likely to "take one for the team" (or dive !) if it could result in them being binned.

3. Off side : Any "clear" off sides should be immediately flagged , allowing play to continue could result in a player being tackled/injured needlessly.

Just my opinions but would stop a lot of the unprofessional behaviour that has become the norm nowadays.

Totally agree Mike. Rugby (both codes), is a much more exciting game to both watch and play than “the other type of football “. Far greater respect and sportsmanship all round and neither the fans nor the players behave like spoiled children

PL

Frank Kelley 13-07-21 07:17 AM

I only joined the game for the second half, but, stayed up the watch the complete programme until it ended, I have to say that I was at first surprised to see that and then deeply saddened that some of them had felt the need to do that with the whole country looking upon them, disappointing!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 554359)

Artynut 14-07-21 03:09 AM

I’m surprised to see no mention of the absolutely disgusting move by the Italian player who literally grabbed the shirt of the English player FROM BEHIND (who seemed to be set for a break-away down the right wing) and yanked him backwards throwing him to the ground. Surely a red card was in order?, but not a word said!
Ah well, back to hockey. At least, you can expect that behaviour in the rink!

Frank Kelley 14-07-21 07:18 PM

I have to agree, it is a pity that after extra time, in the event of a draw, the match cannot be decided upon the number of cards given, rather than a penalty shootout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 554558)
I’m surprised to see no mention of the absolutely disgusting move by the Italian player who literally grabbed the shirt of the English player FROM BEHIND (who seemed to be set for a break-away down the right wing) and yanked him backwards throwing him to the ground. Surely a red card was in order?, but not a word said!
Ah well, back to hockey. At least, you can expect that behaviour in the rink!

mike_vee 14-07-21 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 554611)
I have to agree, it is a pity that after extra time, in the event of a draw, the match cannot be decided upon the number of cards given, rather than a penalty shootout.

Just listening to the commentators/pundits and three phrases are very common :

1. "get the ball to .... and he'll draw a foul"

2. "take one for the team"

3. "a professional foul"

While counting cards if the match ended in a draw may be a slight deterrent , sending the offender(s) to the sin bin for 10 minutes during the game (as in rugby) would definately give the opposition a real advantage and may negate the need for penalties.

Managers/coaches wouldn't be so keen on players "taking one for the team" (or diving !) if they knew they were going to be one man short for 10 minutes.