British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Etobicoke Show - Lightly Attended/Slow Sales (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27224)

chaudiere1944 16-09-12 02:04 PM

Etobicoke Show - Lightly Attended/Slow Sales

Hi All,

This show was the least attended Etobicoke show I can remember in the past 5-6 years…but I really enjoyed myself because I was able to have some great conversations yesterday. Sadly I forgot to wear my BCMBF badge and was not able to connect with any of you.

I did my usual first sweep of all the easily navigated aisles/tables to make a mental note of what I may be interested in. I identified a couple small pieces (Helmet display stand/Book) to go back and perhaps pick up...unfortunately due to a number of great long conversations when I returned those pieces were gone.

Overall the Etobicoke Show appeared not too good for the Sellers, in fact having talked with a number of them they were experiencing a dramatic drop in the prices they were being offered for their items. Each chalked it up to a softening overall in the field of Militaria collecting as a result of fears in the general economy. One dealer even lamented about selling a rare Militia badge yesterday for 1/3 the price it was going for in the recent past. On the flip side I chatted with a number of collectors who have made significant purchases recently at auctions and in personal transactions. The items they purchased were on the scarce/rare side but nonetheless still commanded large sums.

I am always remiss to make judgements based upon a few conversations and as such I would be interested to hear what others are noticing…a few questions come to mind: Are we witnessing a recession, no recession or a natural correction in prices? Are all items from the common to rare affected? Are there any significant demographic shifts happening? Are more items being acquired in private transactions/auctions versus the shows?

Mike

barriefield-brian 16-09-12 10:41 PM

I have noticed on e-bay a lot of common badges dont get a bid or sell very low while the rarer badges still seem to make a good buck. Cheers Brian

chaudiere1944 17-09-12 12:15 AM

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the observation and opinion...it supports what many of the collectors I have spoken with are saying...namely they are still prepared to spend on the scarce/rare items particularly when they are in an auction environment like e-bay/Spinks/DNW/Hoare.

Mike

RC Sigs 17-09-12 09:14 PM

The usual 50 to 75 people lined up at the door were just not there at this show. Overall low attendance and yes people were looking for bargains !

marway_Jaime 17-09-12 09:31 PM

Hi Mike, we had a good show, but noticed a few of our "regulars" did not show, and I noticed at least 4 dealers who usually show weren't as well. I believe you picked up Davids Badge Cd from me near the end.
I had my pin but forgot to wear it!

Pylon1357 17-09-12 09:34 PM

As I posted before. As a buyer, I loved it. Not because of the lower prices, or the greater ability to hagger, but I simple just didn't have to fight to get through the crowds. Not once did I get knocked about some chowderhead with an oversized backback and ego to match.

I was able to examine many more items, that I would normally not bother due to overcrowding.

Although I think I am freindly and pleasent enough, I really don't care for crowds. Never have and likely never will. I still get chills when I think of me trying to navigate the show a year ago last spring. I was on crutches and seemed to be a dilibrate target for everyone.

I found the prices on higher ended items seemed pretty much unchanged, however middle road and lower ended stuff seemed less pricey (a trend I do like).

I have notticed as well lately that there seems to be more of the "rare' items coming up on the market. What I mean are iems such as 1canpar badges (legit, no the fakes) also a few 8th Recce officers scrolls about as well.

Overall I really enjoyed this show, although I only picked up a couple little items.

Peter J 17-09-12 09:35 PM

Please excuse the digression (not to mention ignorance) but I see this Etobicoke place name come up every so often and am dying to know exactly how it is pronounced.

Peter.

Bill A 17-09-12 10:14 PM

EE toe bi koe

Peter J 17-09-12 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 182615)
EE toe bi koe

Thanks Bill.

So the 'K' is silent?

Duncan 17-09-12 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 182616)
Thanks Bill.

So the 'K' is silent?

you DO pronounce the "k".... Try it THIS way:

Ee toe bic O

RCN 17-09-12 10:49 PM

I to attended the EE toe bi kO (long O) show & also thought it was not as well attended as the March show. But still a lot of collectors wandering thru the tables circa 0930. Got crowded in places but not near as claustroiphobic as the spring show.

I picked up some super buys - I did a LOT of buying at this show & the prices I was getting were d***d good, I thought. I passed on a few ridiculously overpriced items that might have interested me in making an offer if the asking price was not insane. $280 for a circa 2WW RCN Officers cap (in poor condition to boot) IS insane ---- vendor said "make me an offer" - my ressponse was "we are way too far apart to even consider that" & moved on -however virtually all my many buys were good deals.

RCN Bryan

Peter J 17-09-12 11:02 PM

Hold on... (I promise to shut up if I still don't get it after this last try :o):

E..... to..... bi..... co.... ke
1...... 2...... 3...... 4...... ?

EE... toe.... bi.... koe
1.......2.......3...... 4

:confused::(:confused:

slick_mick 17-09-12 11:14 PM

I think the a few of the Australian militaria shows have also been the same way with dealers complaining about very slow sales.

Mick

Phil2M 17-09-12 11:32 PM

From Wikipedia,

"Etobicoke (with a silent 'ke') is a district and a former municipality within the current city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada."

Peter J 17-09-12 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 182626)
From Wikipedia,

"Etobicoke (with a silent 'ke') is a district and a former municipality within the current city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada."

Tha yo Phi

;):D

...and apologies for the digression.