British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Patching 6th Gurkha Rifles Uniform (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71904)

ColdWar_Conan 29-01-19 04:22 PM

Patching 6th Gurkha Rifles Uniform
 
Hello,
I was recently given a British Army DPM combat jacket (lightweight version) by an ex-Gurkha. I have also bought the trousers, plus beret and cap badge. I will buy the Union Jack to sew on. However, I'm not sure how to patch it correctly, and can't find much info on the internet. He says he was an officer in the 6th GR, in the 70s.
What rank slides are needed? He says officer ones went on each shoulder, and that they were dark (black?) with three black pips on each.
TRF? As far as I can see, 6th GR had red ones with a crossed kukri.
Collar buttons - possibly crossed kukri with 6 between, and no crown? Or maybe not at all?
Anything else I need?
Thanks!

Bill A 29-01-19 05:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum ColdWar Conan. Your account is active and open for posts.

gurkharifles 29-01-19 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi "Conan"

Welcome to the forum - I've attached a couple of photos that might help. The buttons will definitely have the crown as per the photos - ( crown was introduced in 1960 and in use till amalgamation in 1994 ) - the TRF I think your referring to is the 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade ( white kukris on red ) the 6th GR were part of this brigade from 1974>1977 - so that fits your dates. Less sure of what shoulder slip on titles you refer to - but the second photo gives you some ideas I think. None of these will prove expensive or particularly difficult to get hold of. Cheers Tim

ColdWar_Conan 29-01-19 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurkharifles (Post 466874)
Hi "Conan"

Welcome to the forum - I've attached a couple of photos that might help. The buttons will definitely have the crown as per the photos - ( crown was introduced in 1960 and in use till amalgamation in 1994 ) - the TRF I think your referring to is the 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade ( white kukris on red ) the 6th GR were part of this brigade from 1974>1977 - so that fits your dates. Less sure of what shoulder slip on titles you refer to - but the second photo gives you some ideas I think. None of these will prove expensive or particularly difficult to get hold of. Cheers Tim

Thanks so much for this! The collar buttons and tfr patch you show are very helpful.
The shoulder slips what you sent also. The one with black background and pips are what I assume I am supposed to get, as it matches the description I was given. He said he had three pips on it though (making him a captain?). May ask the technical names for these, as I have been using vague terms to search the internet so far.
Thanks!

Colin S 29-01-19 11:08 PM

No Union Flag was worn on DPM camouflage dress in the 1970s. No collar badges were ever worn on combat jackets.

cbuehler 30-01-19 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin S (Post 466927)
No Union Flag was worn on DPM camouflage dress in the 1970s. No collar badges were ever worn on combat jackets.

Indeed, I believe the Union Jack was not worn on combats until the Soldier 95 kit was introduced into service.

CB

leigh kitchen 30-01-19 07:30 AM

Or regimental buttons, presumably.

ColdWar_Conan 30-01-19 08:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 466943)
Indeed, I believe the Union Jack was not worn on combats until the Soldier 95 kit was introduced into service.

CB

Thanks. Although that leads me to some confusion, as despite the person who gave me this having been in the Ghurkas in the 70s, the combat jacket appears to be the Lightweight Soldier 95 one. The NSN is 8415-99-503-8774. The pictures show the jacket and label... It looks different to the older DPM lightweight jackets.

54Bty 30-01-19 08:29 PM

All you need on that is a Rank slide on the front.

Marc

Alan O 30-01-19 08:36 PM

The jacket shown is mid 1990s at best and worn up to 2013.

Alan O 30-01-19 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 466943)
Indeed, I believe the Union Jack was not worn on combats until the Soldier 95 kit was introduced into service.

CB

It was worn by certain units only - AMF(L) and those on UN duties spring to mind.

C95 was not initially issued with any badges. Union flags were issued separately for Bosnia in 1996.

Mike H 30-01-19 08:45 PM

If he was 6th Gurkhas in the 70's then the jacket would not be the combat 95 one but what we would call jungles. The colour is slightly different,the same as the right hand rank slide that Tim has shown in his earlier post.

ColdWar_Conan 30-01-19 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 467061)
If he was 6th Gurkhas in the 70's then the jacket would not be the combat 95 one but what we would call jungles. The colour is slightly different,the same as the right hand rank slide that Tim has shown in his earlier post.

Yeah that is what I was thinking... When this jacket was introduced, 6th GR wasn't even a thing. I now think he bought this one separately, and forgot that it isn't the original, as the way he described how it was matched the jungle one you mention. He talked of rank slides on the shoulders, but this S95 jacket doesn't accommodate them on the shoulder.

ColdWar_Conan 30-01-19 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 467056)
All you need on that is a Rank slide on the front.

Marc

Thanks! I have bought one... Just not what was originally intended as it would've been the wrong date 😂

ColdWar_Conan 30-01-19 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 467058)
It was worn by certain units only - AMF(L) and those on UN duties spring to mind.

C95 was not initially issued with any badges. Union flags were issued separately for Bosnia in 1996.

Thanks!

Were the RGR ever in Bosnia? I know they were with the paras (Ive seen pics of them with maroon beret), but I mean as a rifles - as in with their rifle green beret.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.