British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WW2 SAS WHITE BERET (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15048)

ARTE ET MARTE 26-02-11 12:58 AM

WW2 SAS WHITE BERET

Hi,
This has been discussed on other forums, never to a conclusion.
So, has any member of this forum ever seen or handled an example of the original white SAS beret? ( hearsay accounts or views not accepted )
I believe it existed but have never seen one !!,
over to you, many thanks.

johanwiegman 26-02-11 07:53 AM

White beret

Liam,

In my books I have several pictures of the original SAS white beret being worn, so I am sure it existed.

Haven't you seen those pictures?

Never seen such a beret in a collection or handed one.

Cheers!

Johan

2LBH 26-02-11 08:08 AM

+1 Johan. Yes, the white beret existed. Among those famous pictures mentioned is the one showing Lt-Col Cooper wearing the white beret.

johanwiegman 26-02-11 08:24 AM

White beret

Hi,

The pictures I have seen are from Jim Almonds and Bob Lilley plus a group of 5 early SAS members standing in a row and one more picture of SAS trooper Jim Storie. Since I am not at home I cannot dig into my books, but will do so later today.

Best regards,

Johan

peter616 26-02-11 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is white berets beening worn

peter

Attachment 36832

David Tremain 26-02-11 07:04 PM

Since they were only worn for a short period of time and were unpopular it is highly likely that any remaining ones would've been discarded in favour of the sand-coloured, or official maroon ones. If any of the white ones were to emerge the price would be through the roof, and, I imagine, out of most members' price range. The picture posted is the only one I've seen of anyone wearing one. I can't remember whether I've ever read the rationale as to why white was chosen. Not very practical!

HamandJam 26-02-11 08:38 PM

There is another pic in Stirlings men of Gavin Mortimer of 5 SAS men in Cairo. My bet is that white had to do with being in the tropics, the sand beret being the next logical choice being in the desert.

As to colours of special forces berets the green commando beret is also interesting. The first unit to wear the green beret was No1 commando. They inspired the colour on the colours in its formation sign, a salamander consumed in flames. White was considere inappropriate as was yellow. Red was from the despised military police and airborne troops. So Green it was.

I just also read in the latest edition of Chute & Dagger that RSR wore chocolate brown berets before they adopted the sand ones. I also have never seen such a beret.

Cheers,
JB

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tremain (Post 102595)
Since they were only worn for a short period of time and were unpopular it is highly likely that any remaining ones would've been discarded in favour of the sand-coloured, or official maroon ones. If any of the white ones were to emerge the price would be through the roof, and, I imagine, out of most members' price range. The picture posted is the only one I've seen of anyone wearing one. I can't remember whether I've ever read the rationale as to why white was chosen. Not very practical!

2LBH 26-02-11 09:46 PM

David,
the picture showing Lt-Col Cooper wearing the white beret can be seen in Barry Davies' complete encyclopedia on the SAS.I'll try to make a scan tomorrow if I have time to.

ARTE ET MARTE 26-02-11 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replys,
I have seen the pictures, hence the question, indeed it is the " Holy Grail " of berets, we will just have to keep on looking !!
RSR - Chocolate coloured berets - thats another story !!, would be interested to hear it,
cheers, liam.

johanwiegman 27-02-11 01:23 AM

Jim Storie

1 Attachment(s)
Friends,

Here is the picture of Jim Storie, clearly showing a white beret (and early SAS wings).

best regards,

Johan

johanwiegman 27-02-11 12:03 PM

more white berets

1 Attachment(s)
Friends,

And one more picture shown in the book "Stirling's Men" by Gavin Mortimer.

best regards,

Johan

johanwiegman 27-02-11 12:10 PM

Cooper and Seekings

1 Attachment(s)
Friends,

One more picture.

best regards,

Johan

johanwiegman 27-02-11 12:16 PM

Jim Almonds and Bob Lilley

1 Attachment(s)
Friends,

From the book "Gentleman Jim" by Lorna Almonds-Windmill.

best regards,

Johan

David Tremain 27-02-11 06:25 PM

Thanks for that, 2LBH. I don't think I have Barry Davies's book, or do I? Haven't checked yet. I have so many books! Haven't had time to dig out 'Stirling's Men' yet, but will do shortly. I should check the one called, I think, 'The Originals', which might also have something. Had not heard that about the RSR and their chocolate-coloured beret. Leaves a lot of scope for nicknames! David

johanwiegman 27-02-11 07:26 PM

The Originals

David,

The Originals does not not have any other pictures of white berets. I know the white beret was not very popular as it generated whistles and jeers from other soldiers who thought "real men would not wear a white beret".

As you can see in those days berets had a very large crown and were worn at a different slant than nowadays when very small crowns are in vogue and berets are sometimes even worn like a cap, specially in the airborne community...

Best regards,

Johan