British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Anodised Lothians & Border Horse badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21380)

2LBH 07-12-11 10:42 AM

Anodised Lothians & Border Horse badge

Gentlemen,
according to K&K, an anodised version of the Lothians & Border Horse cap badge was done and sealed on 11th January 1952. If anyone has pictures and one of these anofised cap badges for sale, am deeply interested. Ditto any extra info about that cap badge.
Cheers
Phil

GriffMJ 07-12-11 11:20 AM

Phil

I think this might be one..... check it out:-

http://www.ecsnaith.com/badges/cap-b...cap-badge.html

William 07-12-11 11:25 AM

This badge may be out there somewhere and good luck to anyone who finds one. I dinna claim to be the world's expert in this, but have been collecting Agonised Ally cap badges for abt twenty years and believe that, of the AA Scottish Yeomanry badges, these definitely exist:

Ayrshire Yeomanry
Lowland Yeomanry
Highland Yeomanry
Fife & Forfar Yeomanry
Lovat Scouts (3 x Variants)

The Queen’s Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry, Scottish Horse and Lothian & Border Horse all seem to be fantasy badges. Never heard of or seen any of them.

All the best

William

GriffMJ 07-12-11 11:32 AM

Phil

Just as a "reality" check.... K&K claim that in 1952 an A/A Leicestershire Yeomanry cap was made..... this was incorrect..... it was a white metal Cap & Collar.

2LBH 07-12-11 11:35 AM

Hi Gents,
thanks for your prompt replies. K&K mentions it but there is no picture of any kind nor have I ever seen any though I've been collecting Lothians badges for several years now. I'll contact them and will ask if they can tell me more about it. If anyone one on the forum can find any data about this badge, I'd be thankful.
Best regards,
Phil

John Mulcahy 07-12-11 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LBH (Post 145265)
Gentlemen,
according to K&K, an anodised version of the Lothians & Border Horse cap badge was done and sealed on 11th January 1952. If anyone has pictures and one of these anofised cap badges for sale, am deeply interested. Ditto any extra info about that cap badge.
Cheers
Phil

PM "Hagwalther" he will let you know. I would be weary of E.C. Snaith although a subsidiary of a current supplier there are lots of reproductions on there.

GriffMJ 07-12-11 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mulcahy (Post 145279)
I would be weary of E.C. Snaith although a subsidiary of a current supplier there are lots of reproductions on there.

Granted..... but the badge does look like an A/A (Buyer beware :) )

Peter Brydon 07-12-11 12:36 PM

In Peter Taylors book " Collecting Anodised Cap Badges " the anodised L and B Horse badge ( No 75 ) was sealed on 11th January 1962, but that would have been ( according to Edwards 5th Edition ) after The Queens Own Lowland Yeomanry was formed on 26th October 1956.

Not mentioned in Anodised Badges of the British Army and Cadet Forces by Edwin Forrest.

P.B.

William 07-12-11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LBH (Post 145272)
Hi Gents,
thanks for your prompt replies. K&K mentions it but there is no picture of any kind nor have I ever seen any though I've been collecting Lothians badges for several years now. I'll contact them and will ask if they can tell me more about it. If anyone one on the forum can find any data about this badge, I'd be thankful.
Best regards,
Phil

I think both Kipling and King have gone to the great militaria fair in the sky, so prob not contactable from this forum.

Best rgds

2LBH 07-12-11 01:36 PM

William, "them" was referring to EC Snaith, not K&K :-)

Thanks for the tips gents
best regards
phil

Peter Brydon 07-12-11 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a quick look through the 2 part article on "The anodised badges and buttons of the British Army" by the late Walter Lambert which appeared in the Summer and Autumn 1994 issues of Crown Imperial.

An anodised L and B badge is not listed.

P.B.

2LBH 07-12-11 01:57 PM

thanks P.B.

GriffMJ 07-12-11 02:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 145302)
I have had a quick look through the 2 part article on "The anodised badges and buttons of the British Army" by the late Walter Lambert which appeared in the Summer and Autumn 1994 issues of Crown Imperial.

An anodised L and B badge is not listed.

P.B.

Hi PB

I dont want to hijack the thread :) There was definatley a DY A/A (super rare) see below....... but the LY did not, it was white metal.

Peter Brydon 07-12-11 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Griff,
Walter wrote his articles based on badges that he, and collectors he knew, had come across actual examples of.

Norman Wolden ( name incorrectly spelt in the attached letter ) provided some further information on anodised badges of the DLOY ( in which he, Norman had served ) in a later edition of Crown Imperial .

Walter in the attached copy of the published letter to Peter Stubbs, Editor of Crown Imperial,hoped that other members would be encouraged to write in with further items they were aware of.

Despite Walters articles being pretty comprehensive,it is one of the attractions of our hobby that previously " unknown " items are found on a fairly regular basis.

Peter

GriffMJ 07-12-11 04:33 PM

Hi Peter

Does that mean that you think there is an A/A Leicestershire Yeomanry cap badge?

BTW in ref to the DLOY A/A.... I think this might be one here? :-
http://www.ecsnaith.com/dloy-cap-badge.html