British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   just a few new badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78083)

badgecollector 03-04-20 02:57 AM

just a few new badges

5 Attachment(s)
hey
i've noticed the isolation has done nothing to slow the sales on ebay and other auctions.
just bought this lot
interested to hear your views on the white metal rising sun. i believe its WW1 even though its unmarked. Cossum lists white metal rising suns for WW1 or atleast pre WW2. ive only got a couple of white metal WW1 badges compared to the many brass.
and a nice pair of ww1 english made matching pair of collars
cheers
bc

Tinto 03-04-20 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 504915)
hey
i've noticed the isolation has done nothing to slow the sales on ebay and other auctions.
just bought this lot
interested to hear your views on the white metal rising sun. i believe its WW1 even though its unmarked. Cossum lists white metal rising suns for WW1 or atleast pre WW2. ive only got a couple of white metal WW1 badges compared to the many brass.
and a nice pair of ww1 english made matching pair of collars
cheers
bc

An attractive lot, bc, Thanks for sharing.
Do you know who wore the white metal rising sun?
Cheers, John

Jackhr 03-04-20 03:51 AM

Nice lot i like the white metal badge looks super :D

badgecollector 03-04-20 06:06 AM

thanks guys
john, no i dont know who would have worn them? i suspect some officers overseas pre war and or their support team?
we know some higher ranking officers were issued with hallmarked silver hat cap and collars pre war.
bc

Home Guard 13-06-20 06:49 PM

The white metal badge looks like a cap badge and has lugs so I would not expect it to be a nurses badge, as they wore a collar sized pin back if my info is correct. But the nurses badge was white metal or true silver.

Terry

badgecollector 13-06-20 09:33 PM

Hi terry
The white metal rising sun is a hat (slouch hat) size badge and not a peaked cap badge size which generally was the same as a collar badge.
Nurses were not issued slouch hats and therefore didn't get issued a hat badge.
It's really only been recently that nurses are issued a slouch hat but wear the standard pattern rising sun hat badge and not a white metal version.
Bc

Jackhr 13-06-20 09:51 PM

Are you selling any of these badges??If so am interested in a couple .

Rob

badgecollector 14-06-20 12:25 AM

Sorry Rob
These all went into my collection.
I was interested to see I already had a white metal RS badge but they are obviously from different manufacturers as they differ slightly.
Cheers
BC

Milmed 14-06-20 03:34 AM

Are you sure the badge is white metal and not a plated brass item. I say this based on the fact that the lugs and solder points around the lugs appear the same finish as the back of the badge. This is usually a sign of a plated badge.
True white metal (german silver) should have copper lugs.

Lancer 17 14-06-20 02:02 PM

Hi Guys

I believe that the "Silver" hat badge is probably one of the ones that were silver plated for the Armoured Corps post WW2 and up to 1948 when the title on the badge changed from Australian Commonwealth Military Forces to Australian Military Forces. I have 2 white metal Kings Crown Australian Military Forces badges.

I put up a detailed post on the white metal / silver plated Rising Sun badges a couple of years ago.

Regards

Phil.

badgecollector 20-06-20 06:42 AM

hi Phil and Milmed
the badge does not look silver plated and is definitely not chrome plated.
interesting you say "True white metal (german silver) should have copper lugs" as I've just looked at numerous Australian white metal badges and most DO NOT HAVE copper lugs?
I still believe its circa ww1 but am glad its generated some discussion.
bc