British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Searching for Royal Artillery Pagri Collectors (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67732)

Blue Puttees 03-05-18 12:54 PM

Searching for Royal Artillery Pagri Collectors

I am searching for forum members who seriously collect Royal Artillery pagri and are willing to exchange emails. Thank you.

manchesters 03-05-18 01:35 PM

I have a modest collection!

PM me

54Bty 03-05-18 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 442615)
I have a modest collection!

PM me

What he said.

Marc :)

Blue Puttees 03-05-18 07:30 PM

It has been suggested I share some of my questions with the entire forum.

Other than dealer websites and old auction catalogs, I don't have a good feel for how collectible these pagri are. Either you are a Royal Artillery collector or you have an interest in a specific artillery unit.

Have these pagri been faked? If yes, how wide spread is this?

What makes some pagri more desireale than others? Does a pagri from the Litchfield collection demand a higher price? Were some pagri locally made in India or Hong Kong and that makes them more desirable?

Have any pagri surfaced which weren't referenced by Litchield?

I am looking to learn and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

manchesters 03-05-18 07:43 PM

Thanks for posting this and I will add my views.

1. Have these pagri been faked? If yes, how wide spread is this?

Firstly I am assuming you are concerned with the type of badge that was worn on the red and blue diamond rather than the earlier type of badge so i will answer with that in mind.

The badges, numbers & letters that appear on the diamond have not been commercially reproduced (yet) thats not to so some enterprising collector hasnt cobbled one or two together. You often see 'home made' diamonds of the wrong size, colour and cloth that a collector or dealer has added to make the badge look more complete but thats a minor issue.

2. What makes some pagri more desireable than others?

The RHA badges are the most expensive and the Indiam Mountain Batteries.
Field Batteries are the most common followed by Medium and Heavy. AA are scarcer, but prices vary as most dealers dont know which is worth more than others amongst the F,M,H and AA badges.

Does a pagri from the Litchfield collection demand a higher price?

No. They are all very much the same and how do you tell anyway?

4. Were some pagri locally made in India or Hong Kong and that makes them more desirable?

I think the majority of the badges were made overseas and are often crude with cast in fixings. Therefore they are not more desirable.

5. Have any pagri surfaced which weren't referenced by Litchield?

Yes, I have noted several.

regards

Blue Puttees 04-05-18 06:56 AM

Thanks Simon.

In regard to pagri not referenced in Litchfield's book, do they bring higher prices?

Most of the pagri I see on dealers websites sell. Some faster than others. Are there that many Royal Artillery collectors?

How about the value of embroidered (bullion and non bullion) pagri?

How much value does a pagri add to a sun helmet, slouch hat or MK II helmet?

While the plain red and blue diamond is somewhat common on MK II helmets; I have only seen one with a unit specific pagri. I presume such headgear sells fast.

manchesters 04-05-18 07:00 AM

1. In regard to pagri not referenced in Litchfield's book, do they bring higher prices?

Not necessarily.

2. Most of the pagri I see on dealers websites sell. Some faster than others. Are there that many Royal Artillery collectors?

Yes

3. How about the value of embroidered (bullion and non bullion) pagri?

Bullion harder to find, ie - RHA

4. How much value does a pagri add to a sun helmet, slouch hat or MK II helmet?

The value of the badge

5. While the plain red and blue diamond is somewhat common on MK II helmets; I have only seen one with a unit specific pagri. I presume such headgear sells fast.

No idea

blackpowder44 04-05-18 09:45 AM

RA Pagri badges

2 Attachment(s)
pictures of my collection so far. I think that the AAI badge is not in Litchfield. I hope that these are what you are after, John.

Blue Puttees 04-05-18 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpowder44 (Post 442678)
pictures of my collection so far. I think that the AAI badge is not in Litchfield. I hope that these are what you are after, John.

Outstanding collection John! Very nicely displayed.

manchesters 04-05-18 11:10 AM

Quote:

Some beauties there.

regards

54Bty 22-05-18 03:06 PM

Quote:

Very nice badges. The shoulder designation MOUNTAIN ARTILLERY has no connection with the other badges displayed.

Marc

grenadierguardsman 22-05-18 06:39 PM

Quote:

Thats a cracking collection.
Andy

Alex Rice 23-05-18 09:46 AM

Nice collection!

Oj_no11 23-08-20 04:57 PM

IV Corps, 8th Medium Regiment, Burma

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, what would be the Pagri on the side of a slouch hat belonging to a member of the 8th Medium Regiment who were attached to the IV Corps in Burma during WW2 please?

manchesters 24-08-20 06:36 AM

If they wore one, and if they still existed after the linking of Medium Batteries in 1938, then it would be 8 over M.

regards