British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Officer Training and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   A Rare Find Canadian Corps of Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47528)

QSAMIKE 01-08-15 12:06 AM

A Rare Find Canadian Corps of Cadets

4 Attachment(s)
Good Evening Everyone.....

Who says that you cannot find rare and unusual things on ebay.....

I found the following shoulder badges and hoped that no one else realized what they were.....

The badges as shown in Mazeas Pre-1914 book are the following Cadet Corps.....

C of C 307 Holy Redeemer Convent Cadet Corps, Location: Sydney, NS
Formed May 13, 1911 Disbanded Jan 13,1917

C of C 569 Tolmie School Cadet Corps, Location: Saanich, BC
Formed November 24, 1914 Disbanded January 11, 1922

My badges:

C of C, Corps of Cadets (Generic Badge)

C of C, Corps of Cadets 1895, Bath High School Cadet Corps, Bath New Brunswick, Formed: February 17th 1942 Disbanded: December 31st 1949, Affiliated with: 2nd (R) Bn. Carlton & York Regt Nov 26, 1943

Mike

Phillip Herring 01-08-15 12:38 AM

Are you sure that they are not Corps of Commissionaires?

Phil

QSAMIKE 01-08-15 12:53 AM

Hi Phil.....

I am not sure, as I have heard both sides of the argument, so therefore I am putting the question here......

I just hope that we will be able to finally put this to sleep.....

Mike

Bill A 01-08-15 01:03 AM

Those are Corps of Commissionaires badges.

badgecollector 01-08-15 01:33 AM

hi all
interesting topic.
so are we saying Mazeas is wrong?
bc

Phillip Herring 01-08-15 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 317863)
hi all
interesting topic.
so are we saying Mazeas is wrong?
bc

He wasn't always right.

Phil

Bill A 01-08-15 11:06 AM

A thread on the Canadian board re Mazeas errors. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4477

LLWill 03-08-15 12:33 PM

Cadets of Canada or Commissionaires of Canada

I lean towards "Cadets or Canada". What would the number be for the Commissionaires? I have been calling around to the various Divisions of the Corps to ask for any photo evidence of the CofC/XXX being worn. So far have not found a picture to support the theory.

QSAMIKE 03-08-15 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLWill (Post 318053)
I lean towards "Cadets or Canada". What would the number be for the Commissionaires? I have been calling around to the various Divisions of the Corps to ask for any photo evidence of the CofC/XXX being worn. So far have not found a picture to support the theory.

Has anyone a photo or a written instruction that it is Commissionaires?????

M.

Bill A 03-08-15 01:15 PM

These were older insignia worn by Corps of Commissionaires dressed on a service dress type of jacket. Dating to the 70's or earlier. I know you are old Larry, but not that old?

Phillip Herring 03-08-15 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSAMIKE (Post 317859)
My badges:

C of C, Corps of Cadets 1895, Bath High School Cadet Corps, Bath New Brunswick, Formed: February 17th 1942 Disbanded: December 31st 1949, Affiliated with: 2nd (R) Bn. Carlton & York Regt Nov 26, 1943

Regarding your C of C 1895 badge in particular, I would expect the shoulder title for the 1895 Corps to be the printed flocked pattern as this cadet corps was raised during the second world war.
I still say that your title is for the Corps of Commissionaires.

Phil

Artynut 05-08-15 02:58 AM

Corps of Commissionaires titles

Could those titles shown at the beginning of this thread be the individual's number? Question for Larry W., is the Corps History still available to buy? Maybe there's a mention there. I ask this as I have some surplus C.P.O. badges which each have different numbers in the lower part of the wreath which I believe to be the individual's number. Now of course, in the C.C.C., if the individual's number is worn, it is a separate piece and not worn on the headdress or shoulder title. I still have mine from my time at Great Lakes Div. Cheers, D.J.

LLWill 05-08-15 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artynut (Post 318201)
Could those titles shown at the beginning of this thread be the individual's number? Question for Larry W., is the Corps History still available to buy? Maybe there's a mention there. I ask this as I have some surplus C.P.O. badges which each have different numbers in the lower part of the wreath which I believe to be the individual's number. Now of course, in the C.C.C., if the individual's number is worn, it is a separate piece and not worn on the headdress or shoulder title. I still have mine from my time at Great Lakes Div. Cheers, D.J.

Mike asked if there are any Dress Reg's out there from the Commissionaires. I have never found an actual "book", different divisions have their own instructions and they (of course) vary.

In your comment you say "I still have mine from my time at Great Lakes Div"??? A number over CofC or ??. I was talking to Bill Alexander on this the other day. He made the point that these badges are not on the cadet site (which is a good site) and there are numbers that do not correspond to the Sqn list. If they are commissionaire badges - wow!! the logistics of them would be wild (and the cost) if they were individual - but!!!! I have seen multiple copies of the same badge - Why?? If they are a persons serial number. I have never heard of a Detachment numbering scheme for the Commissionaires- but that would explain multiple copies of the same number??

Artynut 08-08-15 03:06 AM

Sorry for the confusion Larry, At the G.T.A.A. (Airport) we wore our number on the right breast of our Class 1 reflective jacket. It was engraved on black plastic to show white, approx. 1 inch X 2.5 inches. D.J.

Bill A 21-08-15 01:28 PM

To put an answer to the question another way, these titles are not cadet titles.