British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Commando "Beserk Winner"? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86385)

Roy 08-09-21 07:03 PM

Commando "Beserk Winner"?

Hi Gents,

I have a reference to a Commando who was a 'Beserk' winner!

I recall hearing about this but for the life of me can't recall. Can anyone shed light on what competition 'Beserk' actually is?

Cheers,
Roy

leigh kitchen 08-09-21 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Computer game stuff?

eg:

Roy 08-09-21 07:27 PM

That's what I got on my search.

But this is back in the early 80's, so I suspect not.

Cheers,
Roy

leigh kitchen 08-09-21 07:38 PM

Sounds like the winner of a good night in the NAAFI.

CAM 08-09-21 07:47 PM

Today, the word ‘berserk’ is used to describe anyone in an irrational, agitated state of mind who cannot or does not control his or her actions. The meaning of the word originates with the Viking berserkers , the fierce warriors who were known for battling in an uncontrollable, trance-like fury, and were alleged to be able to perform seemingly impossible super-human feats of strength. They would howl and growl like beasts, froth at the mouth, and launch an attack in a fit of frenzy.

Unruly Warrior Gang
In medieval Norse and Germanic history and folklore, the berserkers were described as members of an unruly warrior gang that worshipped Odin, the supreme Norse deity, and were commissioned to royal and noble courts as bodyguards and ‘shock troops’, who would strike fear into all who encountered them. Adding to their ferocity, and in order to intimidate the enemy, they would wear bear and wolf pelts when they fought, giving them the name Berserker, meaning “bear coat” in Old Norse.

leigh kitchen 08-09-21 07:52 PM

Could it be the RM equivalent of the army's "milling"?

Roy 08-09-21 08:01 PM

I wondered the same,

Surely we have few members who were Commandos back in the 1980's who could solve this one?

Cheerio,
Roy

Royal 09-09-21 06:07 AM

I didn't join until '86 but it doesn't ring any bells with me as any kind of formal 'competition'...

High Wood 09-09-21 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAM (Post 558982)
Today, the word ‘berserk’ is used to describe anyone in an irrational, agitated state of mind who cannot or does not control his or her actions. The meaning of the word originates with the Viking berserkers , the fierce warriors who were known for battling in an uncontrollable, trance-like fury, and were alleged to be able to perform seemingly impossible super-human feats of strength. They would howl and growl like beasts, froth at the mouth, and launch an attack in a fit of frenzy.

Unruly Warrior Gang
In medieval Norse and Germanic history and folklore, the berserkers were described as members of an unruly warrior gang that worshipped Odin, the supreme Norse deity, and were commissioned to royal and noble courts as bodyguards and ‘shock troops’, who would strike fear into all who encountered them. Adding to their ferocity, and in order to intimidate the enemy, they would wear bear and wolf pelts when they fought, giving them the name Berserker, meaning “bear coat” in Old Norse.

I remember reading somewhere that they achieved the state of "beserkness" by feeding Fly Agaric mushrooms to their reindeer and then drinking the urine that contained the mind altering psilocybin. Apparently, it was safer or more concentrated if it had passed through the reindeer than eating the Fly Agaric yourself.

leigh kitchen 09-09-21 07:37 AM

I remember reading that there was a theory that the berserker's anti social behaviour may have been drug induced.
My wife has Viking Ancestry, with her it's gin.

mike_vee 09-09-21 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bike race ? :D

leigh kitchen 09-09-21 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 559017)
Bike race ? :D

Or won the bike? Is the bike design old enough to date back to the mid-80's?

mike_vee 09-09-21 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 559018)
Or won the bike? Is the bike design old enough to date back to the mid-80's?

I think from mid 70's.

Roy 09-09-21 05:32 PM

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the input.

So a little more detail, the full inscription is:

'To: Cliff "Beserk" Winner! Your Pals 45 Commando 1982'

This is engraved on an F-S Knife and I've just found out my friend (the current owner) is sending this along for me to sell, so it would be nice to have some more context to the inscription.

Cheers,
Roy

leigh kitchen 09-09-21 05:36 PM

So a possible Falklands War link then?