British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Royal Irish Rifles OSD (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79881)

Kyle 21-07-20 04:06 PM

Royal Irish Rifles OSD

1 Attachment(s)
I am aware that officers of the Royal Irish Rifles wore bronze collar badges during the First World War, but was wondering whether a bronze cap badge was also produced for service dress?

cbuehler 21-07-20 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Although I am not sure, I do not believe officers had a cap badge in bronze.
I have this silvered (or WM?) collar badge as well.

CB

irishhorse 21-07-20 05:00 PM

Officers of the RIR wore the small silver cap badge on a cord green boss.

Kyle 21-07-20 08:21 PM

Thanks chaps, I knew of the boss cord badge, but wasn't sure if a bronze cap badge existed. Seems strange that they made bronze collar badges, and not a cap badge to match.

That's an interesting variation CB, and in my opinion it would look better with the boss cord badge than the bronze collars.

Parabellum 21-07-20 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This photo appears to show an officer of the 9th battalion wearing the cap badge, I guess in bronze.

Luke H 21-07-20 09:19 PM

This may be of interest and relevance https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...8&postcount=23

cbuehler 21-07-20 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 516965)
This photo appears to show an officer of the 9th battalion wearing the cap badge, I guess in bronze.

Interesting in that he appears to be wearing silver collars along with the bronze cap. Perhaps the non-regular battalions were different in their badgeing?

CB

billy 22-07-20 06:16 AM

Regards th Collars are these facing the correct way? I thought the " Maid " would be facing inward rather than out?

KLR 22-07-20 09:19 AM

As far as I know, the R I R wore an OSD badge the same as this 8th (Irish) Bn KLR
except, of course, the scroll has ROYAL IRISH RIFLES

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...218657&thumb=1

irishhorse 22-07-20 10:32 AM

Royal Irish Rifles Badges

1 Attachment(s)
The small die cast wm badge in Luke's link is a collar badge. Attached is a similar badge, but facing right. The badge worn in the photo of the 9th Bn officer, is probably an OR's brass cap badge. Never seen an officer's quality badge this size. (Billy the collars should be facing inwards, but seems to be a lot of leeway with badges during WWI). The WM collar in CB's post were adopted in 1913.

John Mulcahy 22-07-20 10:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 516928)
I am aware that officers of the Royal Irish Rifles wore bronze collar badges during the First World War, but was wondering whether a bronze cap badge was also produced for service dress?

Kyle, as has been mentioned by others the insignia worn in OSD (peaked cap and jacket) was almost invariably the cord boss with bronzed collar badges . Any deviation I have seen from this was an individual, one-off practice.

This was contrary to initial regulations (as outlined in the 1904 & 1911 editions) which authorized the cord boss for the forage cap but for the service dress cap the authorized badge was "as for the puggaree badge but smaller" (1904 - see attached image) By 1911 the DRs state "as for the busby but smaller" which is a little confusing as the busby has two badges authorized the Harp and Crown in black metal and below the cord boss.

Collar badges with the Maid facing inwards almost always
. I have not seen any evidence of the "puggaree badge but smaller" ever being used in OSD.

The online IWM photo archive is a wonderful resource to search,

John

John Mulcahy 22-07-20 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishhorse (Post 516996)
The badge worn in the photo of the 9th Bn officer, is probably an OR's brass cap badge. Never seen an officer's quality badge this size.

I agree and the collar badges worn are very much an anomaly

billy 22-07-20 09:20 PM

KLR, that is a lovely badge you have posted!

The photo with collars facing outwards had me going! and have to say doubting myself!! (Not Hard!)

I have a R.I.R. attached to a Cord Boss which has leached its colouring and now more Yellow/Khaki, but still partially Green, is this worth replacing ? But then it loses its authenticity somewhat by marrying up with a New Boss, would like your thoughts on that if you would before I do something daft!

But I also have a nice Silver badge requiring a Boss to make whole so if there is a correct one about please let me know?

All the best billy

leigh kitchen 22-07-20 09:51 PM

I wouldn't replace the boss - authenticity lost, but there will be others who disagree.
I'd rather have the original myself.

cbuehler 22-07-20 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 517080)
I wouldn't replace the boss - authenticity lost, but there will be others who disagree.
I'd rather have the original myself.

Agreed. That is the way it has aged.

CB