British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mystery Ampule (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90468)

manchesters 30-07-22 06:52 PM

Mystery Ampule

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

This little glass ampule came with a WW1 soldiers personal possessions recently.

Its in a brass Thorens Gramophone needle case, presumably for its protection.

Does anyone recognise it as a known WW1 type of medicine ampule?

regards

Luke H 30-07-22 07:00 PM

Iodine maybe?

Nice find.

CAM 30-07-22 09:30 PM

Many things at the time were legal including morphine and cocaine.

manchesters 30-07-22 09:49 PM

I think I will bin it!!

engr9266 31-07-22 05:41 AM

Why not take it to your Doctor surgery or local Hospital to see if they can ID it??
engr9266

mike_vee 31-07-22 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 584427)
Iodine maybe?

Nice find.

That is what it looks like , iodine was initially used in conjuction with field dressings but early in 1917 it was decided that side effects (blistering) outweighed the benefits.

Rob Miller 31-07-22 07:58 AM

I believe iodine is still used in surgery today, and a few years ago when my right thumb had an unfortunate encounter with a 12" circular saw blade they gave me an iodine spray to help it along, so its pretty safe.

However this ampule may contain something else, I wondered about acid from a time detonating device or the horn of a sea mine?

Rob

mike_vee 31-07-22 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 584458)
I believe iodine is still used in surgery today, and a few years ago when my right thumb had an unfortunate encounter with a 12" circular saw blade they gave me an iodine spray to help it along, so its pretty safe.

However this ampule may contain something else, I wondered about acid from a time detonating device or the horn of a sea mine?

Rob

The "iodine" used today is completely different to the solution used in the distant past.

The WW1 era iodine reacted with the gauze field dressings and caused skin irritation and blistering.

Today you will find a "tincture of iodine" (a weak solution) in first aid kits ect and hospitals use "Povidone Iodine" , either as a solution or in a spray , for skin disinfection before and after surgery.

There is also a hand washing solution which is used by Surgeons/Scrub staff immediately before they put on gown and gloves for surgery. ( I used it for over 30 years !)

dumdum 31-07-22 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 584426)
Hello,

This little glass ampule came with a WW1 soldiers personal possessions recently.

Its in a brass Thorens Gramophone needle case, presumably for its protection.

Does anyone recognise it as a known WW1 type of medicine ampule?

regards

I've just recalled a trench excavation carried out by Andy Robertshaw of the NAM on an ancient "Finding the Fallen" prog. He was digging on the site of an RAP or similar and located some iodine ampoules just like this.

mike_vee 31-07-22 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 584478)
I've just recalled a trench excavation carried out by Andy Robertshaw of the NAM on an ancient "Finding the Fallen" prog. He was digging on the site of an RAP or similar and located some iodine ampoules just like this.

Iodine ampoules and a thermometer.

peter monahan 31-07-22 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 584458)

Rob

I know a little bit about WWI military medicine and this is almost certainly a drug ampoule. What is in it is anyone's guess, as by 1917 or so, many stretcher bearers and probably many private soldiers would have carried morphine ampoules with them onto the battlefield.

PLEASE don't bin it!

Peter

tonyb 31-07-22 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 584440)
I think I will bin it!!

Simon I think the "done" thing is to dispose of out of date/unwanted medicines at a chemist.
Cheers Tony.

mike_vee 31-07-22 01:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter monahan (Post 584483)
Rob

I know a little bit about WWI military medicine and this is almost certainly a drug ampoule. What is in it is anyone's guess, as by 1917 or so, many stretcher bearers and probably many private soldiers would have carried morphine ampoules with them onto the battlefield.

PLEASE don't bin it!

Peter

Morphine was supplied in ampoules as a clear liquid , I have seen ampoules from WW1 era in the Surgical Museum of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and the "Old Operating Theatre" of St.Thomas' Hospital London. Even after over 100 years the liquid remains clear , the only dark coloured solution I have seen in ampoules from that period is iodine.

Found a mention on GWF about iodine :

Quote:

The War Office issued this instruction to the Director of Medical Services BEF on 7 March, 1916;

‘I am directed to acquaint you that a supply of ampoules or glass bulbs containing tincture of iodine is ready for despatch to the Expeditionary Force, with a view to the distribution of an ampoule to each soldier.

Each ampoule is enclosed in a metal or cardboard case with printed directions on the outside, and should be carried by the soldier in the same pocket of his jacket as the Field Dressing…’

manchesters 31-07-22 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I really had no idea what it was or even if it was related to Army life.

Its more than probable that the soldier retained the ampule in the brass case for its protection rather than in its original cardboard box.

Checking through ebay the Thorens gramophone needle tin is collectable in its own right. Now I know what it is I wont keep it so if its of interest as a pair to anyone I am open to offers.

regards

Home Guard 31-07-22 03:58 PM

As a boy growing up, we feared iodine because it stung like the dickens!!! Was so happy when Mercurochrome came out! Looked the same but didn't sting.

Terry