British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   WW1 - Gaunt Brandings. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12132)

Keith Blakeman 27-08-10 01:30 PM

WW1 - Gaunt Brandings.

1 Attachment(s)
Just to proove how hard it is to date a makers brand, here's a short lived badge (1916-18) worn by limited numbers but featuring two different Gaunt markings.

2747andy 27-08-10 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 80075)
Just to proove how hard it is to date a makers brand, here's a short lived badge (1916-18) worn by limited numbers but featuring two different Gaunt markings.

Keith,
I am sure that these MMs were applied via a hand stamp and hammer? There were probably a few stamps being used on the production line, the curved stamp intended for badges where there was not a suitable area for a stright mark and vice versa. However the peolpe manning the production line probably used the first that came to hand? What is good, is that your title confirms that these stamps were in use in 1916-18 for certain! And I am sure for a few years outside this bracket too?

Andy

Keith Blakeman 27-08-10 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 80128)
Keith,
I am sure that these MMs were applied via a hand stamp and hammer? There were probably a few stamps being used on the production line, the curved stamp intended for badges where there was not a suitable area for a stright mark and vice versa. However the peolpe manning the production line probably used the first that came to hand? What is good, is that your title confirms that these stamps were in use in 1916-18 for certain! And I am sure for a few years outside this bracket too?

Andy

Oh definently....I have a pre-1908 Royal Fusiliers Militia title with a Gaunt stamp too.

Alan Y 07-09-10 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Sussex Territorial RFA Shoulder Title with the curved Gaunt marking. Would this be about the same date as your titles ? Regards Alan Y
Attachment 29646 Attachment 29647

Keith Blakeman 07-09-10 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Y (Post 81428)
I have a Sussex Territorial RFA Shoulder Title with the curved Gaunt marking. Would this be about the same date as your titles ? Regards Alan Y
Attachment 29646 Attachment 29647

Hi Alan,

It could well do but for certain it dates from 1908-21.

Alan Y 07-02-11 11:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Keith

Sorry for being a bit late replying.

I’ve found two more Gaunt marking on two bronze Yorkshire Regiment badges. One is the curved one as before and the other is J.R. Gaunt above London rather than in one line.
Would this put them into a particular date period ?
They are about the same size as the cap badge so would they also be cap badges or a pair of collar badges, all three came from the same seller.

Thanks in advace - Alan Y.

Attachment 35917 Attachment 35918 Attachment 35919

cbuehler 07-02-11 05:33 PM

The two OSD examples in Alan Y's post would be collar badges. Although I dont kknow if the markings indicate any particular period, I tend to see them on ww1 era badges however.

CB

Alan Y 07-02-11 06:32 PM

Thanks CB

I was hoping they were collars but thought they might be too large. I then got confused with another one I have for the same Regiment whish is much smaller. This has a larger crown, the A and the Cross but no scrolls, Green Howards I think.

Thanks again - Alan Y.