British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50786)

slick_mick 18-01-16 11:36 PM

11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own)

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise me if the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) officers/NCOs ever wore a bullion beret badge?

Regards,

Mick

Flatdog 19-01-16 05:24 AM

Hi Mick,

Yes, Officers and Warrants wore a wire wove badge on the two piece beret(the one with the crimson band). There is one on Ebay right now-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICERS-11T...IAAOSwT6pV5JZt
Regards,
Clay

slick_mick 19-01-16 07:33 AM

Thanks Clay!

Much appreciated.

Mick

Frank Kelley 19-01-16 08:16 AM

Yes they did and they also ensured a place was prepared at their table in their mess for Lord Cardigan right up to October 1969.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 340131)
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise me if the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) officers/NCOs ever wore a bullion beret badge?

Regards,

Mick

Robthereiver 19-01-16 10:50 AM

11H Beret Badges

2 Attachment(s)
Hello gentlemen

To the best of my knowledge, and having checked my references, I'm afraid the 11th Hussars never wore a badge on their Beret. I believe the regiment felt the distinctiveness of the beret was sufficient?

The ordnance issue Beret was worn by all ranks without insignia, and Officers only wore the Beret whilst on exercise/active service with armoured cars.
Ref: The dress distinctions of the 11th Hussars (PAO) - Langridge's 1960

The Ebay item Clay refers to, appears to be an O/R's embroidered Collar dog? as worn by the band in No.1 Dress. There was an Officers version which was also worn in No.1 Dress.
The O/R's emb. collar has been also seen worn as an Arm Badge on NCO's Mess Dress.
Please see attached images, the first is O/R's, the second Officers.

All the above said, I would be happily proved wrong, does anyone have any photographic images of 11H berets with badges in wear?

Hope this is of help to you all.

Rob

GriffMJ 19-01-16 11:19 AM

All the images I have of the 11th in the beret have no badge. The only image I have of the badge shown is on an Officers Frock Coat, on the collars, post WW1.

No badge on the Officers FFScap either. I believe the Officers wore a gilt badge in the SD Cap.

mac mcconnell 19-01-16 11:44 AM

agree

I agree with Rob and Griff badge on such a distinctive berry was felt not needed "Black Bottle"..............rather like the 16th Lancers and no Arm badge the scarlet said it all. However they all pale in significance to the very distinctive Motto

Mac...............Lancers all the way!

Robthereiver 19-01-16 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 340180)
All the images I have of the 11th in the beret have no badge. The only image I have of the badge shown is on an Officers Frock Coat, on the collars, post WW1.

No badge on the Officers FFScap either. I believe the Officers wore a gilt badge in the SD Cap.

Griff

Much the same info I have, wasn't sure about the FFSc though. I think the officers wore bronze on the SD Cap and gilt on the Forage Cap?

Cheers
Rob

Frank Kelley 19-01-16 01:57 PM

Rob,
I agree, I would certainly have done well to actually take note of the word beret in the original post.
Regards Frank

at57 19-01-16 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robthereiver (Post 340176)
Hello gentlemen

To the best of my knowledge, and having checked my references, I'm afraid the 11th Hussars never wore a badge on their Beret. I believe the regiment felt the distinctiveness of the beret was sufficient?

Rob

Hi, Sorry to throw the cat among the pigeons with this one, but there is a legitimate 11th Hussars large bullion badge but not sure if it is beret or hat. Granted not worn by regimental officers but this set was worn by a Band Master attached to the Regiment. The set was given to me some years ago by a friend and the son of the Band Master. Size Large: 66mm height, small: 43mm height.
Regards
Andrew

GriffMJ 19-01-16 02:33 PM

Andrew..... I would say large NCO Blues Arm badge...... with two Officers collars.

* 1944 Training at Barnard Castle .....11th Hussars had (Mandatory) to wear their cap badge.
http://staintongrove.tripod.com/ww2_...camp/id52.html

at57 19-01-16 02:58 PM

Hi,

The son did say that the badges were worn by this father and as the regimental officers didn’t wear a cloth badge these were made especially for him. I’m quite happy with the story as the Student Musician badges, also given to me by the same friend and which I have just listed in another post, have kindly been identified as Student Bandmaster badges.

However, it would be interesting to see a large NCO Blues Arm badge worn in a picture or compare the size with one in someone’s collection.

Regards
Andrew

GriffMJ 19-01-16 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at57 (Post 340225)
Hi,
However, it would be interesting to see a large NCO Blues Arm badge worn in a picture or compare the size with one in someone’s collection.

Regards
Andrew

I am always on the look out.... the 11th are not an easy Regiment for images :)

Robthereiver 19-01-16 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at57 (Post 340206)
Hi, Sorry to throw the cat among the pigeons with this one, but there is a legitimate 11th Hussars large bullion badge but not sure if it is beret or hat. Granted not worn by regimental officers but this set was worn by a Band Master attached to the Regiment. The set was given to me some years ago by a friend and the son of the Band Master. Size Large: 66mm height, small: 43mm height.
Regards
Andrew

Hello Andrew

Not a cat in sight:D.

The items you have shown are as Griff has stated, an NCO's Arm badge and a pair of collars. Only the collars are O/R's not Officers.

Regards
Rob

Robthereiver 19-01-16 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 340211)
Andrew..... I would say large NCO Blues Arm badge...... with two Officers collars.

* 1944 Training at Barnard Castle .....11th Hussars had (Mandatory) to wear their cap badge.
http://staintongrove.tripod.com/ww2_...camp/id52.html

Hello Griff

Well done and thank you for coming up with the link showing 11H cap badge in wear in the beret at Barnard Castle, very interesting in deed.
Although in fairness this appears to be the exception to the rule, due to where the individual was posted.

Cheers
Rob