British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Subdued Trade Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6618)

REME245 15-06-09 12:07 PM

Subdued Trade Badges

This dealer has a large number of subdued trade badges advertised.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/HOTMIN...0Q2em14?_pgn=2

Many of these badges are not even approved for combat dress so who is wearing them.

Unknownsoldier 15-06-09 12:14 PM

Seller is a member here...................

Tom

REME245 15-06-09 12:47 PM

I am not trying to crticize anyone I just want to know if these are private purchase or offical issue.

Unknownsoldier 15-06-09 12:49 PM

Deffo, just meant he should be along to clarify soon....

:D

Tom

L&BH 15-06-09 01:18 PM

As far as the Scottish RRS desert patch is concerned, it is officially worn in Afghanistan on the Desert shirt:http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...KW7mT/610x.jpg

54Bty 15-06-09 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REME245 (Post 41001)

Many of these badges are not even approved for combat dress so who is wearing them.

None of the subdued T&Q badges are authorised or issued by the MoD, however they are tolerated and are being worn. Those I can confirm as being worn are EOD, ATO, Army Pilot, Air Crewman, Door Gunner, AT in Wreath, MG in Wreath, M in Wreath and Tank Transporter (RAF Regiment). Also there are a few incorporated into the Rank Slide, Crossed Rifles, and Crossed Flags.

2747andy 15-06-09 04:39 PM

The RAF Regiment seem to be the biggest wearer of these badges (they look like black and green boy scouts with often more than one or two of these displayed), closley followed by the Royal Engineers! You will find they are mostly worn by individuals in small independant units, that often are attached to other battlegroups and away from their own chain of command, hence they escape the attention to detail (and dress regulations) of SNCOs and Warrant Officers that happens in major units! They guys buy them off e-bay and shops like De Boras in Aldershot and HM Supplies! To be honest The Army has actually got a busy task on it's hands (Afghanistan) and dress regulations seem to be low on the list of priorities!:mad:

Mike H 15-06-09 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 41017)
The RAF Regiment seem to be the biggest wearer of these badges (they look like black and green boy scouts with often more than one or two of these displayed), closley followed by the Royal Engineers! You will find they are mostly worn by individuals in small independant units, that often are attached to other battlegroups and away from their own chain of command, hence they escape the attention to detail (and dress regulations) of SNCOs and Warrant Officers that happens in major units! They guys buy them off e-bay and shops like De Boras in Aldershot and HM Supplies! To be honest The Army has actually got a busy task on it's hands (Afghanistan) and dress regulations seem to be low on the list of priorities!:mad:

I whole hearted agree with you Andy.When 143 Plant Sqn was part of RMonRE,we were banned from wearing the "horned hare" sqn flash.But,when we then rebadged RE and became part of 75 Eng Regt we were encouraged to wear it by the CO.

crest-insignia 15-06-09 09:24 PM

Hopefully I can shed some light on this. In about 1997, I was in conversation with a regular soldier who had just passed his snipers course at Brecon. His moan was, having just spent the last 4 weeks crawling about in good thick welsh mud etc etc, he had nothing to show for it as the new issue soldier '95 uniform forbade the wearing of trade badges. He could wear the badge on his no'2s, but how often would that happen?

So, we had some some subdued sniper badges done for him and his oppos. The idea caught on and we added more to the range, it was not long before others jumped on the band-wagon, now you see them everywhere.

Short answers to the original question and subsequent point raised;
They are a private purchase item.
The RAF Regt. seem to love them.
They are not officially approved but would appear to be generally accepted by most regiments/corps.
And are often as mentioned very popular with tradesmen/attached troops operating away from thier parent unit.

Sorry to be long winded, but hopefully it answers most queries.
Toby
@
Crest

54Bty 16-06-09 04:50 PM

Toby,

Are you producing the (fictional*) desert version RWF Dragon?

*If it isn't who is wearing it?

crest-insignia 16-06-09 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 41079)
Toby,

Are you producing the (fictional*) desert version RRW Dragon?

*If it isn't who is wearing it?

Well, I recently found some 'overs' at one of my suppliers. Therefore, either a unit or another dealer ordered some [they wouldnt tell me who]. Anyway, the few I did have are now in the hands of 'hotminicooper'. So, anyone who wants one, he's your man.

T.

HOTMINICOOPER 17-06-09 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REME245 (Post 41001)

Hundreds of current serving soldiers

crest-insignia 21-06-09 09:13 PM

As several people have asked me, the most popular of these subdued trade badges are;
1] [by a country mile] Sniper
2] Bomb disposal
3] Medic

all the above will shortly be being seen in desert variation too.

T.

Mike_2817 16-10-09 07:56 PM

My main interest is RAOC & RLC and starting with the First Gulf War, and then picking up again with Op Telic & Op Herrick these un-official badges seem to be worn by almost everyone! The are not produced or approved by the MoD as some e-bay dealers would like you to believe but are produced by a handful of UK Producers an 'In Theatre' All a unit really needs is the CO/OC to turn a blind eye and they are worn.

With the introduction of UBACS and Velcro backed badges the lads no longer need to buy one for every shirt, and 2 sets seems to be the norm. I set worn on Desert Shirt/Jacket and sometimes a different set worn on UBACS & Osprey Body Armour.

I plan to illustrate a number of badges I have researched and obtained next week.

Just because an item is not approved by the Army Dress Committee and does not have a 13 digit NSN does not mean it is a Fake or Made Up. Yes some are, and that is where a little reseach and talking to the boys comes in handy.

wardog 17-10-09 12:45 AM

I would have thought RAF Regiment Sqn badges must have some official standing by now as they have been worn since at least the late 1980's.