British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   British Para Wings - Opinions Sought Please (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89485)

oc14 04-05-22 07:16 PM

British Para Wings - Opinions Sought Please

2 Attachment(s)
Picked this pair of Para wings up today. Seeking opinions as to whether they are genuine (or otherwise) please. They are in near mint and unworn condition. For what it’s worth, they were acquired with a genuine , well worn, printed Pegasus patch and a pair of “paste back”, embroidered 55th (West Lancashire) Infantry Division formation badges (in unworn condition), will be offered for sale if verified as “pucka”.

Thanks in advance

Paul

JerryBB 04-05-22 07:21 PM

Not original imo

ianh67military 05-05-22 03:23 PM

Wings

I disagree. Reckon they’re a clean pair of WW2 Indian made wings. Various Para battalions were raised in India and wore wings like these. Possibly 13th (Lancashire) Battalion the Parachute Regiment?

IanH

Ian B 05-05-22 05:03 PM

Wings

Agreed. Construction suggests Indian/Pakistani (depending on overall width as Pakistani wings tend to be larger). There is a lack of a horizontal split in the two inner most feathers (closest to the shroud lines). There are stitches over the shroud lines where they meet the canopy. Only point I note is the shape of the item at the base of the shroud lines. It's triangular, while pictures I have seen show either squarish box or box with rounded bottom. This could be explained by manufacturing variation. As to originality, I cannot comment. Only my opinion, but newness of the condition suggests post war manufacture to me. Others may disagree.

JON188 06-05-22 02:23 PM

I believe post war Indian

A lovely set of original wings.
It’s difficult to say but id and hi k more the post war Indian.
I’ve a few pairs in a box mate.

3battalion 06-05-22 02:37 PM

Not WW2 in my opinion.

Paul

NEMO 06-05-22 04:50 PM

ok ..... I believe original - no question but post war Indian Pakistan army

arrestingu 06-05-22 05:29 PM

Original Indian para wings but post war .
regards
Steve

oc14 06-05-22 07:07 PM

Thank you Mick abs Steve. Next question is, are they collectable and do they have any value?

Thanks again

Paul

JerryBB 07-05-22 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianh67military (Post 578501)
I disagree. Reckon they’re a clean pair of WW2 Indian made wings. Various Para battalions were raised in India and wore wings like these. Possibly 13th (Lancashire) Battalion the Parachute Regiment?

IanH

obviously unsaid but I meant not original WWII.

I should have said made in Pakistan, which seems to be the consensus, and post war but I still am unconvinced these are issue even if modern.