British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Who and When? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78189)

Postwarden 09-04-20 02:42 PM

Who and When?

1 Attachment(s)
Great photo with lots of good insignia detail. Your thoughts on regiment and date please.

Jon

manchesters 09-04-20 02:45 PM

Jon,

Various Middlesex Rifle Volunteers (London Area) SNCO's, dressed as Rifles, c. 1905.

regards

grumpy 09-04-20 07:23 PM

Why is the man in the middle, apparently a sergeant, in the "senior" position? And no efficiency stars either.
I believe I know.

Answers on a postcard.

manchesters 09-04-20 08:00 PM

Permanent Staff Sgt Major Instructor, regular army, attached.

regards

grumpy 09-04-20 08:19 PM

Sufficiently close, to my belief, to get the cigar.

I belief he is indeed a regular, attached, and a sergeant with school of musketry qualification. Too lazy to check my references, but I would have expected him to have four chevrons where he has but three. He is, of course, a Boer War veteran.

I could well be wrong. My wife reminds me often.

manchesters 09-04-20 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 505806)
Sufficiently close, to my belief, to get the cigar.

I belief he is indeed a regular, attached, and a sergeant with school of musketry qualification. Too lazy to check my references, but I would have expected him to have four chevrons where he has but three. He is, of course, a Boer War veteran.

I could well be wrong. My wife reminds me often.

Not a Boer War veteran.

Thats an IGS with 2 clasps and his ALS&GC Medal.

regards

Toby Purcell 09-04-20 08:57 PM

I concur with Grumpy, he’s the regular, permanent staff Musketry Instructor. For many decades they had worn 4-stripes, but at some point the regulations changed to make them colour sergeants. I’ve got the reference somewhere, but Graham Stewart posted the details in a thread here in the forum.

Keith Blakeman 09-04-20 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 505781)
Jon,

Various Middlesex Rifle Volunteers (London Area) SNCO's, dressed as Rifles, c. 1905.

regards

How can you be sure they're Middlesex?

Toby Purcell 10-04-20 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 505780)
Great photo with lots of good insignia detail. Your thoughts on regiment and date please.

Jon

I think that they are possibly Sussex Rifle Volunteers circa 1905-07.

manchesters 10-04-20 09:02 AM

They are wearing two different cap badges, one being a grenade and the other a Cross with Crown above.

regards

Keith Blakeman 10-04-20 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 505847)
They are wearing two different cap badges, one being a grenade and the other a Cross with Crown above.

regards

That's what's confusing me. No Middlesex RV's wore a grenade, the closest would have been the 3rd London RV. I'm not aware of a pouch belt of that shape which would have been worn alongside one of the Battalions which wore a Maltese Cross style badge either.

manchesters 10-04-20 09:38 AM

There is a possibility its just post 1908 into the TF era with a mixture of badges.

regards

Staffsyeoman 10-04-20 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 505809)
Not a Boer War veteran.

Thats an IGS with 2 clasps and his ALS&GC Medal.

regards

Agreed. Possibly late KRRC.

grumpy 10-04-20 01:47 PM

TF Regs 1908 have all permanent staff junior to the acting sergeant major wearing 3 - bar chevrons, the colour sergeants to add a crown, and all to add crossed rifles if S of M certificated.

I don't have a VF Regs close enough to pinpoint 4- bar to 3- bar, and anyway would need a continuous run of Orders.

Toby Purcell 10-04-20 02:50 PM

A better quality scan would help enormously?