British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BL sub group? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92473)

dumdum 08-02-23 09:03 PM

BL sub group?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all

While looking for something "completely different", as The Monty Python sketch would go, I found this.

Sorry that the front pic isn't much better but it says B.E.S.L. to the lower scroll. Maker is good old J R Gaunt.

As I post this, I have one of Bob Marley's tunes going on in my head....:D

Thoughts as to period?

Mike V, are you there? Hi mate, hope '23 is off to a good start.

Actually, best wishes to all for a much better New Year!

mjw 08-02-23 10:23 PM

British Empire Services League?

Kind regards, Malcolm.

mike_vee 09-02-23 09:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The British Empire Services League (later the Commonwealth Ex-Services League) was set up to represents the interests of Commonwealth citizens who had served with either the British or Commonwealth Forces.

I have a 'Commonwealth Ex-Services League' Malawi miniature that definitely shows a British Legion connection.

Found a 'reference' in a book , "Race, Empire and First World War Writing" , which would date the Jamaica Legion to post WW2. (another article gives a date of 1949)
NB: Ex-BWIR Association was for veterans of the British West Indies Regiment.

It looks like BESL and later CESL groups initially were aligned/associated with the British Legion but not formally branches .

dumdum 09-02-23 10:37 AM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for that. I knew that you'd know! I have an unfinished one for the New Hebrides I think.

mike_vee 09-02-23 11:10 AM

Still going strong but noticeable that they aren't using the RBL poppy.

NOTE :The appellation “Royal” was granted by royal assent in 2003.

dumdum 10-02-23 10:17 AM

Hi Mike

So a good chance that this is their first badge or dating from the 50's at the latest? Size and pin-back fixing would suggest this.

Thanks again for the great info! :)

mike_vee 10-02-23 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 596416)
Hi Mike

So a good chance that this is their first badge or dating from the 50's at the latest? Size and pin-back fixing would suggest this.

Thanks again for the great info! :)

Your badge has B.E.S.L and according to "The Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League" site :

Quote:

It was renamed the British Commonwealth Ex-Services League (BCEL) in 1958 and then the Commonwealth Ex-Services League (CEL) in 2002.
The appellation “Royal” was granted by royal assent in 2003.
So it "should" date between 1949 - 1958 but as they possibly had a lot made initially it could have been issued even after the name changed.

NB: My Malawi pin has CE-SL , so I'm not sure where it fits in. :confused: :D

dumdum 11-02-23 05:06 AM

Hi Mike

Yes, I once knew a guy whose Dad worked in the trade of badges, mostly bowling and darts clubs. He said that if they got an order for 15 badges they often made 20-30 as the pfaffing around was just not worth it for such a small run.

When/ if the club ordered more they just went to the box and sent them off....they then got the reputation for being "very prompt"!:D