British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Gurkha Engineers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82341)

Gurkha 18-12-20 03:28 PM

Gurkha Engineers

The first pattern Gurkha Engineers AA cap badge was silver AA. Anyone know when it changed to Bi coloured AA?

Ta
Steve

engr9266 18-12-20 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurkha (Post 532512)
The first pattern Gurkha Engineers AA cap badge was silver AA. Anyone know when it changed to Bi coloured AA?

Ta
Steve

I always thought that the silver A/A badge was a collar badge that was also worn as a beret badge and the normal badge was gold & silver coloured A/A.
I could be wrong.....:eek:
engr9266

gurkharifles 19-12-20 11:39 AM

Hi Steve - according to Chris Marsh's excellent book - the silver version was approved for other ranks with No.1 Dress in 1957 and at the same meeting the gold and silver version was approved "subject to the sovereigns permission". In 1965 the other ranks badge was changed from silver to silver and gold although the decision was deferred . I believe that the silver and gold A/A and the silver A/A were probably worn at the same time although the silver variant is the earliest version. Tim

dubaiguy 19-12-20 12:57 PM

Would I be correct that the silver a/a badge was never fitted with a slider unlike the gold/silver badge? Further if the lugged silver badge was also worn as a collar it would make it difficult from a collectors perspective to determine if the badge in hand is a hat or collar badge?
Mark

gurkharifles 19-12-20 05:45 PM

Hi Mark - yes I don't think there is a slider version of the silver A/A - if someone out there knows different it would be very interesting and rare indeed.

Tim

Mike H 19-12-20 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurkharifles (Post 532602)
Hi Mark - yes I don't think there is a slider version of the silver A/A - if someone out there knows different it would be very interesting and rare indeed.

Tim

I had a look through my notes. I can find nothing that mentions slider on the silver version. They do say lugs north and south, east and west too. Whether one is cap/beret and the other collar I'm not 100%.

Calpe 20-12-20 09:44 AM

Gurkha Engineers

I have both versions and the lugs are north and south. Would be interested to know if there is a slider version.
Regards
Ian

gurkharifles 20-12-20 11:22 AM

The first officers cap badges were silver and privately purchased from Garrards of London and marked silver. Interestingly though these badges had north and south lugs. So I think it's safe to say that an A/A badge with N/S lugs is a cap badge - if its E/W then probably a collar. I was going to write that I'd not seen a gold/silver A/A with N/S lugs but on checking - I've actually got two versions one with no maker and one with LB & B on the back - both with N/S lugs. Tim

grey_green_acorn 20-12-20 12:37 PM

See also this old thread:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...rkha+engineers

Tim

Gurkha 20-12-20 01:42 PM

I am in possession of the ADC meeting 112 notes where it states the badge is silver. It was sealed on the 19th November 1958.
I have also had a long conversation previously with a British officer, RE who served with them early days. about cap/collars. He informed me they were issued from the same box when they rebadged. That there was no specific collars just given two of the same. I wanted to know when the change to bi AA took place. He had returned to RE before then.

Thanks for your comments

Steve

bess55 21-12-20 11:25 AM

Thanks Steve,
interesting and probably everyone's suspicions about the early silver Gurkha Engineers anodised silver badges.

Incidentally on the topic of lugged anodised Gurkha regiment cap badges, I have a fully voided 7th DOE Gurkha Rifles cap badge, anodised with a Gaunt slider. Not seen another.

Regards all

Bess

tim 21-12-20 02:17 PM

From Queen's Gurkha Sapper by Hank Bowen. Orders of Dress for Gurkha Engineers - 1956, The creation of the Gurkha Engineers necessitated the drafting of a completely new dress schedule for approval by HM the Queen, The main changes agreed from the modified RE uniform worn previously were;
The Regimental device "Two Kukries" in saltire the blades upwards and outwards, in silver, ensigned with a grenade and over the pommels, a scroll inscribed "Ubique" in gold", was accepted as the official badge of the Gurkha Engineers and was to be worn by all ranks.
The issue of the badge through Ordnance channels was expected to take some time and so the regiment paid for the initial issue of White gun metal badges to all ranks. Officers were expected to purchase their own silver badges to be worn on berets. Tim.

tim 21-12-20 02:41 PM

White gun metal

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 236488

Attachment 236489

tim 21-12-20 02:47 PM

Silver? long lugs

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 236490

Attachment 236491

Calpe 22-12-20 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just bought in eBay this morning. With slider and JR Gaunt.
Ian

Attachment 236544

Attachment 236545