British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brigade badges worn in NI c.1970 + ? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55015)

red rags 07-07-16 08:18 AM

Brigade badges worn in NI c.1970 + ?

Dear All, I have read that the RRW wore the old Bde badge until around 1975 obviously inc. Northern Ireland, even though the system was no more.
Can anybody advise me if '69-70 other units served still brigaded & badged similarly ?

Alan O 07-07-16 08:26 AM

I think the answer is the following:

Bde badge remained in use by regular battalions:

Parachute brigade/ Para Regt.
Light Infantry Bde/ Light Infantry
Fusilier Bde/RRF
Welsh Bde/ RRW up to 1975

Bde badge remained in use by TA battalions
Lowland Brigade/ Lowland TA.
Highland Bde /Highland TA
Yorkshire Bde/ Yorkshire Volunteers.
Lancastrian Bde/ Lancastrian Vols.

Bde badge no longer worn.

Home Counties
East Anglia
Forrester Bde
Green Jackets Bde
North Irish Bde

red rags 07-07-16 08:32 AM

Rose or horse badge?

Could we say for sure in '69-70, that say the PWRR wore the Yorkshire Horse & not the Yorkshire Bde badge in Londonderry etc

Alan O 07-07-16 08:43 AM

Not sure about the PWO.

But I can tell you that in 1968 the Green Howards readopted the pre 1958 design and wore metal badges before the new GH badge in a/a was ready. Likewise the former Lancastrian bde opted for collars rather than wear the old badge. As did the DERRs who had the collar badge adapted with a slider for wear in the cap.

The Argylls went back to their old badge even before the Bde system was broken up as Aden footage shows both in use.

red rags 07-07-16 10:07 AM

THANKS

Alan O 07-07-16 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not PWO, but the Wessex badge was still being worn by one regt in NI in Dec 1969.

No Bn ID but the D and Ds were not in Ulster that year but the DERRs and the Royal Hampshires were.

red rags 07-07-16 10:30 AM

What a result, please ANY members, can we have more of the same...

Alan O 07-07-16 11:05 AM

The PWO wore the Lancs bde cap badge when they went to Ulster in 1969.

This is a photo of them landing and the Bde badge is worn.

http://victorpatterson.photoshelter....00003uQ2B.aQc0

54Bty 07-07-16 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 367466)
Not PWO, but the Wessex badge was still being worn by one regt in NI in Dec 1969.

No Bn ID but the D and Ds were not in Ulster that year but the DERRs and the Royal Hampshires were.

Bernadette and Martin

FMT600 07-07-16 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red rags (Post 367453)
Could we say for sure in '69-70, that say the PWRR wore the Yorkshire Horse & not the Yorkshire Bde badge in Londonderry etc

1 PWO (The 1st Battalion The Prince Of Wales's Own Regiment Of Yorkshire) were on exercise at Stanford on the 25th of April 1969 when the commanding officer was informed that the Battalion were to deploy to Northern Ireland ASAP (as soon as possible), believe it or not they were in Northern Irealand the afternoon of the 26th of April, a remarkable achievement in itself. One should remember this deployment had nothing to do with the IRA but due to the real threat posed by some so called Loyalist elements who were threatening a sabotage campaigned against the infastructure of Northern Ireland, a situation which had come to a head after the Storemont Government had promised social reforms for the Catholic population after the NICRA (Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association) marches and the ensuring violent attacks on the marchers from some extremist Prodestant elements.

1 PWO did deploy wearing the Yorkshire Brigade Cap Badge which they wore from formation on the 31st of July 1958. The Battalion spent much of its first NI emergency tour guarding the likes of resovours and the electric grid againsed the threat of saboutage whilst the RUC just managed to cling onto control through July 1969, things got too much for the RUC on the 14th of August in Londonderry after 2 days of sectarian violence and 1 PWO were on that day deployed to seal off the Bogside, which they did and thus restored calm and irionically they were welcomed as saviours by the Catholic population (a situation not to be repeated on the subsequent 6 further tours they undertook in the province) they were the first British troops to be deployed on the streets in Northern Ireland in what was to be a very long period of troubles.

The 4th of June 1971 saw the introduction of the White Horse cap badge which of course was worn on the 1972 tour of Northern Ireland.

Kind Regards,
FMT600

Colin S 07-07-16 08:21 PM

Brigade badges in NI

I do not think the Parachute Regiment (or other Brigade units) wore the 16 Parachute Brigade badge in NI. The normal DZ flashes were worn on both sleeves of the Denison smock. The films made recently about Bloody Sunday wrongly show a Pegasus flash on the left arm but that is clearly wrong when period photos are examined.

Mike H 08-07-16 11:29 PM

Mercian Brigade was worn by the Mercian Vols.
I will check my NI books over the weekend.

Mike H 04-09-18 07:54 PM

Checked my references. Dependant on the date in 1969,it could be 1 R.Hamps or 1 Glosters.
The DERR and D&D didnt go to NI until the 70's.