British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Liverpool Pal's for Opinions please (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80153)

The Red Barron 04-08-20 12:53 AM

Liverpool Pal's for Opinions please

2 Attachment(s)
Hi J and All.

All Opinions Welcome.

This is the badge I am not sure of.

Fingers crossed it's a good one. 🙏

Thanks Mark

KLR 04-08-20 07:16 AM

There are three types of OR's Lpl Pals badge. The first badge was provided by the Earl of Derby in November 1914. It is cast in brass with a flat back.
The second was die struck in gilding metal (GM) with NS loop, issued officially in summer 1915.
The 3rd type was again - official - die struck (also GM) with a slider.
All of them were "painted" with a dark brown colour (cf Household Cavalry and many Yeomanry badges).

I have to admit a niggling doubt about the very heavy edge of the reverse. But others will have other opinions.

gary1666 04-08-20 06:52 PM

I would agree with KLR, the edge on the rear looks very pronounced, I've looked at the rear of mine and they aren't as 'sharp' looking

The Red Barron 05-08-20 09:26 AM

Thanks for your opinions

Looks like there is no true answer???

Best wishes

Luke H 07-08-20 07:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Your badge is from the same die as this one.

The Red Barron 07-08-20 11:29 PM

Thanks Luke

So it's a bit a dud then (Looks good behind glass):mad:

Cheers

cbuehler 07-08-20 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 518721)
Your badge is from the same die as this one.

Although I don't feel qualified to make a comment as to the originality of the badge in question, it does not appear to be of the same die as this. Close examination will show a multitude of minute differences, ie., the fleur de lis on the coronet, the G in changer, the scroll endings etc.

CB

The Red Barron 08-08-20 12:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes CB

I see your point

Some better photos

The Red Barron 08-08-20 12:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes CB

I see your point

Some better photos

Thanks

Luke H 08-08-20 06:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The ermine pattern (not fleur de lis) on the cap are the same, an arrow shape topped with what looks like a clubs playing card shape.

Simply on the badge in the OP they are not as well defined due to the manufacturing process, however it is possible to discern the same shape on the ermine far right.

Similarly the scroll ends are the shame, the difference being how the badge is finished and removal of the excess metal.

The G can hardly be seen on the badge I posted a picture of due to the quality of the photo and light/shine so any comparison here is a trick of the light.

cbuehler 08-08-20 12:42 PM

Yes, I can see the the similarities now. It looks like the badge in question is likely bad.

CB

Frank Kelley 08-08-20 01:26 PM

From the photographs, I would think the badge is not original.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Red Barron (Post 518355)
Hi J and All.

All Opinions Welcome.

This is the badge I am not sure of.

Fingers crossed it's a good one. 🙏

Thanks Mark

The Red Barron 08-08-20 04:20 PM

Thank you all.

Very much appreciated.