British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Newfoundland Cap Badge Reference (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46278)

mad4thcef 13-05-15 05:55 PM

Newfoundland Cap Badge Reference

1 Attachment(s)
I fianlly got one!

I am wondering what the catalogue reference and number would be Cox? etc.

Thanks in advance!

Tinto 13-05-15 06:03 PM

Cox has it as 1st Newfoundland Regiment, 1068, on page 137.
Cheers,
Tinto

mad4thcef 13-05-15 10:25 PM

Thanks
Rob

jonhart55 19-07-15 12:46 AM

Regiment cap and collar badge collection

1 Attachment(s)
This is my collection Newfoundland Regiment of cap,collar badges and a shoulder title.

mad4thcef 19-07-15 01:14 PM

Nice!

Bill A 19-07-15 01:26 PM

Note, on another Newfoundland Regiment thread, the small badge shown in the centre of jonhart's image proven to be a collar. They are extremely scarce and appear to be only one orientation. (As evidence shows to date.)

mad4thcef 24-07-15 02:00 PM

Never Say Never it doesnt exist

4 Attachment(s)
This came from a very olde collection.

Construction of these is very similar.

Lugs etc.

This could of been a protoype? I dont know.

Bill A 24-07-15 02:50 PM

Hi Rob, Thanks for posting the image of the matching badges. Are these the same size as the cap badge? The one in question posted by johnhart is much smaller than the cap.
What makes you think these are prototypes?

mad4thcef 24-07-15 03:02 PM

Bill,

These are the same size as cap/ collar.

I got the fuse the other night from Larry Thanx!

Bill A 24-07-15 03:06 PM

Thanks.

NFLDREGT 29-07-15 10:25 PM

NEWFOUNDLAND BADGES

Hi Jon

That's a nice group of Newfoundland badges.

I have seen half size, three quarter size and full size collars both looking same direction and at each other in brass, bronzed and gilt finishes.

Both officers and EM used private purchase badges. Standard issue was cap used as collars.

Also private purchase titles in at least five varieties.

Regards

Don

jonhart55 25-08-15 03:15 AM

Shoulder title with slide.

1 Attachment(s)
Any one here seen one of these 1st NFLD titles with a slide on the back rather then the lugs? Wondering if this was a issued thing or something the Bys might have had made on there own.

jonhart55 25-08-15 03:17 AM

Re:

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry here's a picture of the front as well.

NFLDREGT 30-08-15 03:31 PM

1/ST NFLD TITLE

In 1914 before the First 500 went overseas a number of this type of titles were made up by a local St. John's jeweler. I believe it would only have been for officers but there are no records that I have found to confirm if they were issued or private purchase. I have at least one picture of an officer wearing as a collar badge. They were made from individual pieces and braised together with round wire loop lugs which usually haven't survived, as in the pictured one. A similar one was made in England but stamped with regular lugs. Not sure about the back plate as I haven't found them together and think it would have been difficult to work with the round loop lugs as the lugs were so short.

I would love to hear from anyone who can add to my limited knowledge in this field.

Thanks

Don

Bill A 30-08-15 08:42 PM

Don/Jon, Do either of you have any provenance on the other FWW era Newfoundland titles?