British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   48th. Highland Reg't. Belt? Value? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83259)

Exmilcop 14-02-21 01:30 PM

48th. Highland Reg't. Belt? Value?

4 Attachment(s)
I've been asked by an elderly widow whose husband served with the 48th. Highland Regt. of Canada to see what exactly she has and an idea of interest and value. From what I know of military items, I believe it to be Victorian era (Queen's Crown?) and a dress belt. I believe the regiment was raised during the Boer War, and this may well be from that period, but any more accurate information would be most welcome. Of interest are the attachment points for the shoulder straps. I've never seen ones that retract back into the belt, I assume for when the belt is worn on its own. As you can see from the pics, many many years of polishing have blurred the details of the buckle. As you will note, it also has the bayonet frog and the whole rig would benefit from some TLC.

manchesters 14-02-21 02:00 PM

Hello,

Its an 1882 Valise Pattern waistbelt with a Queen Victorian General Service clasp. Its not a belt worn by a specific regiment, but worn by all Infantry Regiments at the time. There should be some black stencilled Capital Letters inside it that would indicate the Regiment it was issued to.

A rare belt phased out in 1888 when the Slade Wallace equipment was introduced, but like all Army equipment worn much later and in WW1 brought out of storage to be worn by recruits.

The bayonet frog is a General Service Mk.II Frog altered to fit the Pattern 1907 bayonet and is post 1909, again indicating the later use of the belt.

If its all for sale I would buy it.

regards

Bill A 14-02-21 04:04 PM

The 48th Highlanders were formed in 1891. They used whatever equipment the parsimonious Dept of Militia provided, which often meant obsolete or surplus equipment. The Canadian militia acquired equipment from Britain before insisting on Canadian manufacture.

grenadierguardsman 14-02-21 04:30 PM

The buff loops are not original to the belt though.
Andy

manchesters 14-02-21 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 538753)
The buff loops are not original to the belt though.
Andy

Why do you say that?

regards

manchesters 14-02-21 06:35 PM

Well until you reply I will just say that everything on the belt looks exactly as it should on an 1882 Valise waistbelt including the leather loops.

I would be interested to hear what it is that makes you say they are not original to the belt?

regards

leigh kitchen 14-02-21 06:59 PM

Am I right in thinking older rivet fittings on items such as bayonet frogs were brass,later ones zinc or white metal coated copper (just some half misremembered detail from public duties in the 70's).

grenadierguardsman 14-02-21 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 538765)
Well until you reply I will just say that everything on the belt looks exactly as it should on an 1882 Valise waistbelt including the leather loops.

I would be interested to hear what it is that makes you say they are not original to the belt?

regards

Should it not have the buff loops with the buckle on ?
Andy

manchesters 14-02-21 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 538768)
Should it not have the buff loops with the buckle on ?
Andy

Andy,

No, those were part of the improved system that replaced the Valise equipment, which was called the Slade Wallace system and introduced in 1888.

There was no need for brass loops on the front of the Valise equipment belt as the braces attached to directly onto the pouches rather than the belt.

regards

manchesters 14-02-21 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 538767)
Am I right in thinking older rivet fittings on items such as bayonet frogs were brass,later ones zinc or white metal coated copper (just some half misremembered detail from public duties in the 70's).

Leigh,

They were always zinc coated copper rivets.

I am talking pre WW1. I dont know about modern ceremonial frogs.

regards

grenadierguardsman 14-02-21 07:11 PM

Oh right, never knew that.
Andy

leigh kitchen 14-02-21 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 538770)
Leigh,

They were always zinc coated copper rivets.

I am talking pre WW1. I dont know about modern ceremonial frogs.

regards

Ta, I'm probably getting confused with SLR bayonet scabbard studs, brass ones, steel ones.