British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RTC, RTR fakes confirmation (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56319)

3dg 31-08-16 10:35 AM

RTC, RTR fakes confirmation

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 155220

Attachment 155221

Attachment 155222

Attachment 155224 been weeding out the collection, just need assurance confirmation before I mag to grid these, thank you

3dg 31-08-16 05:50 PM

I was informed many years ago, not by anyone in this forum, a ret Col of the RTR who collected Tanks badges that these badges were not right. Any thoughts at all please?

3dg 31-08-16 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 155274 correct way round now

fearnaught 01-09-16 06:42 AM

Hi, the first three are all from the same die, and as it includes what looks like an officer's bronze that would make them all suspect. The second lot just look like very bad castings. I'm at work at the moment so can't look at my known copies to compare but I suspect them to be the same, best wishes Mike

3dg 01-09-16 07:14 AM

Thank you Mike, I also didn't think a tank facing left officers bronze existed anyway.

3dg 01-09-16 12:19 PM

Has anyone else got an opinion on these badges, I feel I've done something wrong with only one response and 187 views :confused:

3dg 02-09-16 10:02 AM

I hope I didn't sound rude on my last post, it was not my intention. I just thought you guys would have been all over this one telling me that they are fakes, I'm only going off what I've been told by that ret'd RTR Col and my own eye and some that I've seen on this forum, Mike was kind enough to give his views, just wouldn't mind a couple more assurance posts, thanks all for your time.

Alan O 02-09-16 10:11 AM

Well I agree with Mike for all of the reasons listed above. The officers badge is just wrong, the brass one cast etc.

Alan

3dg 02-09-16 01:36 PM

Thank you all, so ill keep hold of the WM and bin the rest, i take the officers is just a fantasy badge?

fougasse1940 02-09-16 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 373829)
i take the officers is just a fantasy badge?

These die stamped and bladed badges are all over Ebay and are all fake. OSD badges were (almost always) cast.

Rgds, Thomas.

FMT600 03-09-16 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Genuine white metal RTR badges on sliders do exist and as a generalisation seem to be post WW2, the reason I say this is that definitely genuine makers marked examples do exist (made by Buttons who made early post WW2 badges). Considering the number of RTR badges that must have been made I would imagine that there would be numerous makers variations (to illustrate this some of my white metal other ranks RTC/RTR badges are below, all are different) so I would keep hold on to your white metal on slider example unless it can be identified as definitely coming from a copy die.

I'm afraid the others need condemning, whilst genuine cast metal examples exist (Middle and Far East Theatre made) I'm afraid yours have the wrong lugs for either and I think the others have already been covered in detail.

Regards,
FMT600

3dg 03-09-16 10:12 PM

Thanks again for all of your replys. So you think the 1924 tank right badge on a slider is OK? I'll do as you say and keep a hold for now, cheers

FMT600 04-09-16 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 373995)
Thanks again for all of your replys. So you think the 1924 tank right badge on a slider is OK? I'll do as you say and keep a hold for now, cheers

Hi,

I have made a bit of a school boy error here as I was looking at your upside down photo and failed to notice both the cast and di-stamped badges were left facing. That said whilst most left facing white metal (as opposed to the brass band examples) I have seen or owned have had the slider attached to the rear of the tank and not the crown, I have seen examples of the latter that appear to be good, so my point still stands about not binning it unless you discover its definitely from a copy die.

Regards,

FMT600

3dg 05-09-16 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A better pic of the slidered tank right badge Attachment 155473

Attachment 155474