British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Egypt Gloucestershire Badge - Genuine or Not? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80878)

DianaD 21-09-20 09:47 AM

Egypt Gloucestershire Badge - Genuine or Not?

4 Attachment(s)
I believe this to be an Egypt Gloucestershire Regiment pouch badge - screw fittings rather than lugs? I think the number 28 represents the 28th On Foot Regiment, but not sure if the numbers belong with the badge, even though they were together in my late Dad's collection. Help needed please whether you think the badge is genuine. I have looked at other images and have noticed a difference in mine, in as much as the design under the EGYPT plinth is not attached to the plinth, there is a small gap. Hopefully you can see what I mean from the photos. Your opinion would be appreciated and if genuine, a rough valuation. Thank you.

mike_vee 21-09-20 10:31 AM

Can't really help but I did find a thread from 2013 showing a similar pouch badge.

Gloucestershire pouch badge

Hopefully someone else will have more information.

matti467 21-09-20 10:43 AM

This style of badge was pretty heavily restruck . However, good signs are that the restrikes I saw had loops. The fact this comes with lugs and nuts is good.

mike_vee 21-09-20 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matti467 (Post 523312)
This style of badge was pretty heavily red truck.

Predictive text can be fun ! :D

DianaD 22-09-20 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matti467 (Post 523312)
This style of badge was pretty heavily restruck . However, good signs are that the restrikes I saw had loops. The fact this comes with lugs and nuts is good.

Thank you. That's what we thought. Diana

DianaD 22-09-20 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 523310)
Can't really help but I did find a thread from 2013 showing a similar pouch badge.

Gloucestershire pouch badge

Hopefully someone else will have more information.

Thank you Mike. I will have a look. Diana

btns 22-09-20 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the same badge and it is from the same die.
It came from a dealer selling fakes and it cost me GBP 10.-
I am quite sure it is an older fake.

cbuehler 22-09-20 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 523432)
I have the same badge and it is from the same die.
It came from a dealer selling fakes and it cost me GBP 10.-
I am quite sure it is an older fake.

I would agree with this. I have noted a few of these being flogged on epay, and the patina does not look right at all.

CB

Phil2M 23-09-20 08:35 AM

I agree the black, flat patina on the back and light and clean front do make it look like an artificially aged badge.

DianaD 25-09-20 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 523530)
I agree the black, flat patina on the back and light and clean front do make it look like an artificially aged badge.

Oh dear Phil. We thought it might be genuine. As I said, the only thing I noticed on mine is that there is a gap between the Egypt plinth and the motif below. Others I have seen have no gap. Thanks anyway. Diana

Alex Rice 19-10-20 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All
I recently found this badge and thought I would resurrect this thread. The maker-mark seems genuine and the badge appears to be bronze. Thoughts?
Cheers,
Alex

cbuehler 19-10-20 03:33 PM

That is a single collar OSD collar badge.

CB

Alex Rice 19-10-20 05:25 PM

Thanks CB. I had thought the collar didn't have the scroll but I don't know much about collars at all.
Cheers,
Alex

Sonofacqms 19-10-20 10:16 PM

Confusion!

This thread started with a pouch badge and ended up with a collar badge, admittedly they both pertain to the Glosters, what do we reply to?

Rob

Alex Rice 20-10-20 09:42 AM

I thought mine was also a pouch badge, just with lugs.