British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cap Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87992)

Holyboy 08-01-22 07:49 AM

Cap Badge

2 Attachment(s)
What are orioles thoughts please is this WW1 CEF WW2 Canadian or just pressed out lugs?

leigh kitchen 08-01-22 12:23 PM

I have a "Seaforths" with those lugs, I labelled it as possibly Pictou Highlanders, but then found that some thought the lugs were indicative of British WWI manufacture, however the lugs are found on post WWI badges such as the RTR.

Bill A 08-01-22 12:33 PM

Flat lugs are typical of many CEF badges and some post First WW badges. The badge in question could be Pictou High.

leigh kitchen 08-01-22 12:54 PM

By some post WWI badges do you mean Canadian?

cbuehler 08-01-22 01:37 PM

Those lugs are also seen on British badges, although it seems only for some Scottish regiments.

CB

Luke H 08-01-22 01:45 PM

I’m very confused as to why these electrical lugs are always talked of as Canadian.

These electrical stamped brass lugs with a circular hole are found on King’s Own Scottish Borderers, Seaforth Highlanders, Royal Scots, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, (pre-1937) Black Watch, Highland Light Infantry.

To the best of my knowledge the Canadians did not use all those designs. Even the above badges used by them I would expect they are likely of British manufacture.

The stamped Ellis lugs, as I believe they’re called, found on the Canadian Parachute Corps badges often have oval holes to the lug.

Flat stamped electrical lugs indeed are also found on several WW2 badges inc. Parachute Regiment and Reconnaissance Corps, however, these for the most part differ in shape being more D shaped with a rectangular hole.

The RTR is found with the flat lugs with a circular hole, often plated from what I’ve seen. I’ve a KSOB with identical lugs and the whole badge may be nickel plated over GM.

My opinion is these are British made badges which were not all produced at the same time, but likely for the same reasons i.e. ease or speed of manufacture. So the wars would be a good guess.

grey_green_acorn 08-01-22 01:55 PM

Here are my four examples of Scottish badges with these lugs. All came together in a job lot and all contain an element of ferrous metal and are magnetic.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=80193

Tim

Bill A 08-01-22 04:48 PM

Leigh, yes Canadian post-war badges.

Bill A 08-01-22 04:53 PM

Luke, the Canadian Parachute Corps badges that had flat stamped lugs were on the Mackenzie-Clay badges. Other makers used the typical bent wire types. Ellis did not make badges for the Second WW, they were out of the badge business by that time.
The badge in question is likely a Brit badge.

Luke H 08-01-22 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 569582)
Luke, the Canadian Parachute Corps badges that had flat stamped lugs were on the Mackenzie-Clay badges. Other makers used the typical bent wire types. Ellis did not make badges for the Second WW, they were out of the badge business by that time.
The badge in question is likely a Brit badge.

Mckenzie-Clay that’s the badger, thanks for the correction Bill.

leigh kitchen 13-01-22 02:45 PM

6 Attachment(s)
A different striking of a Seaforth's badge with similar lugs (picked up at Granta Stamps & Coins in Cambridge in 1981).
The badge has a vertical flaw on the reverse, by the left eye.
I like the way the badge has been shaped, presumably by the original wearer.

magpie 13-01-22 03:58 PM

Although they at first all look the same there are many variations on these stamped sheet lugs so must have been made from many different dies and makers both here in England and Canada, I found it a nightmare trying to match up lugs from a nice badge with those taken from others or the bag of odds that I had accumulated.

cbuehler 13-01-22 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Leigh,
I too have one of these badges shaped in the same manner, in situ on a WW2 Glen. I have seen others and it was a popular personal modification.

CB

leigh kitchen 13-01-22 05:26 PM

I like those little personal touches to insignia.

MartinRF 20-12-22 09:53 AM

Cap Badge

2 Attachment(s)
...here is an example of a 1930-42 period Australian Armoured Corps collar badge with the drilled-through type of fixings - being in an oxidised finish, it would be post-September 1939...it is maker-marked on the back: 'Angus & Coote' (instituted as a jewelry manufacturing company in 1895)...(8{
Attachment 277517

Attachment 277518