British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Some uncommon signs and titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65527)

Mike Jackson 01-12-17 05:30 PM

Some uncommon signs and titles

1 Attachment(s)
Time to give these another airing. Mike
Attachment 181544

NEMO 01-12-17 05:34 PM

VERY nice young sir , when time permits may we have a close up of the 5 commando please ?

Mike Jackson 01-12-17 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Michael, I'll open the frame and get a decent quality close up (but not immediately). In the meantime....... Mike
Attachment 181549

NEMO 01-12-17 10:02 PM

Thats fine pal , jst checking the ` 5` was a lighter color ?

irish 01-12-17 10:47 PM

Sublime

Jack

Mike Jackson 02-12-17 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEMO (Post 429124)
Thats fine pal , jst checking the ` 5` was a lighter color ?

The "5" is in yellow - 5 Cdo's colour I believe. Thee other half of this pair went to the late, lamented Len Whittaker decades ago - so it's still out there somewhere. Mike

zob 03-12-17 03:57 AM

Hello Mike,

I can’t quite make out the information below the signs, as it’s not quite legible on my screen. Is that therefore then, what I think it could possibly be a (top left) 12th Div SDF slip-on? Sorry I’m not much of a “patch wallah” I’m afraid.

Kind regards,
Zob.

Mike Jackson 03-12-17 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zob (Post 429239)
Hello Mike,

I can’t quite make out the information below the signs, as it’s not quite legible on my screen. Is that therefore then, what I think it could possibly be a (top left) 12th Div SDF slip-on? Sorry I’m not much of a “patch wallah” I’m afraid.

Kind regards,
Zob.

A rare and genuine example of the of the formation sign of HQ 12 Div. The sign of a white diamond was selected for the Second Line 12 (Eastern) Division, formed in September 1939 and disbanded in July 1940. It was then reformed as a deception formation under the title of 12 Div (Sudan Defence Force).

(It came with a letter from a British Sgt serving in 12 Div in, I think, 1944. When I next find it, I'll scan the letter and post it here. Mike)

54Bty 03-12-17 09:28 AM

A couple of mine like what you got.

William Brooks 03-12-17 01:05 PM

Thank you for posting these titles.

zob 03-12-17 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 429240)
A rare and genuine example of the of the formation sign of HQ 12 Div. The sign of a white diamond was selected for the Second Line 12 (Eastern) Division, formed in September 1939 and disbanded in July 1940. It was then reformed as a deception formation under the title of 12 Div (Sudan Defence Force).

(It came with a letter from a British Sgt serving in 12 Div in, I think, 1944. When I next find it, I'll scan the letter and post it here. Mike)

Hello Mike,

I would love to see the letter if and when you get the opportunity and very many thanks for the clarification. It’s really wonderful to see that this stuff is actually out there. Simply made my day, week, month, year – outstanding!

Kind regards,
Zob.

lettman 03-12-17 11:48 PM

Wonderful items, Mike -- thank you for the post. Why do the DCLI have two divisional signs, and what is the blue semicircle on the red bar?

Mike Jackson 04-12-17 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Do these help? Mike
Attachment 181626Attachment 181627

Mike Jackson 04-12-17 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zob (Post 429261)
Hello Mike,

I would love to see the letter if and when you get the opportunity and very many thanks for the clarification. It’s really wonderful to see that this stuff is actually out there. Simply made my day, week, month, year – outstanding!

Kind regards,
Zob.

Until I find the original, here's the text:

Mrs K Barraud, Norfolk House, 4 Glen Road, Boscombe, Hants, England

S/76524 Sgt Barraud P HQ 12 Div (SDF), MEF 4pm Friday 28 Jan 44

Dear Kay,

Thanks for your airgraph of 11 Jan 44 which arrived one day after the air mail letter card of the same date. I hope that this will reach you at your new address - if you are still there! (I agree that consequative looks as well as consecuctive!!)

I had a very nice night out on Wednesday. Went to one of the local cinemas and saw Cedric Hardwicke in “The Moon is Down” - it was a first rate film and I expect that you have seen it. As a sidelight I tell you that the house was not full by any means, but that another cinema nearby showing “Road to Morocco” with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour was packed!

No particular news here. It has been nice the last 2 days, but wind got up yesterday. Still we had our weekly hot sulphur bath. Ye Gods, it gets hotter and hotter, but it is a grand bath. Had a walk down to the sea a couple of days ago. This afternoon is very quiet because everyone is out at a football match and I don’t suppose I shall be working after 5.

I must agree we had a good Xmas from the physical point of view, but then I have always tried to impress upon you all at home that I am living in the lap of luxury - perhaps now you will believe it!

Au revoir. Love to J & you.

Yours, Philip.

Postwarden 04-12-17 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Examples of the first BAOR's Southern Division sign worn.

Jon