British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help needed to identify regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44922)

drjimbo 25-02-15 05:28 PM

Help needed to identify regiment

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Can anyone help me with the identification of the regiment in which this soldier served?

TIA,

JS

Hussar100 25-02-15 05:40 PM

I can see spurs so I guess he was mounted. I can't see any other clues.

gb64 25-02-15 06:09 PM

I believe that's a good conduct chevron on his lower left arm ?

Gerard

54Bty 25-02-15 06:19 PM

If you have the original image use a magnifying glass on the left shoulder to see what letters are on the shoulder strap and if that is a badge at the top of the sleeve.

Marc

drjimbo 25-02-15 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for getting back so quickly.
I don't have a magnifying glass, but have extracted the emblem on the shoulder. Second letter looks like a 2 or Z (cf attached ).

Not sure I understand the comment about letters on strap...

JS

grenadierguardsman 25-02-15 07:53 PM

It to me looks like NC,
Andy

54Bty 25-02-15 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjimbo (Post 300645)
I don't have a magnifying glass, but have extracted the emblem on the shoulder. Second letter looks like a 2 or Z (cf attached ).

JS

Sorry missed out the word 'shoulder'.

Marc

Madziro 26-02-15 10:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Looks a bit like this Natal Carbineers title worn during WW 1 as previously identified. They were mounted at the time and spurs would be appropriate. At one time in their history the regt had two battalions and the same style metal figure 1 or figure 2 was worn above the title.

Frank Kelley 26-02-15 11:06 AM

Army Service Corps, not sure why this is in the South African section?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjimbo (Post 300645)

JS

drjimbo 26-02-15 11:13 AM

Me neither, my apologies, hadn't noticed the breadcrumb lead to the thread.
(I'd better check some of the other posts!)

Wouldn't have lasted very long in the field :(

If ASC, is it possible to deduce anything further from the letter/number?

JS

milhistry 28-02-15 02:54 AM

From one angle it looks like NC and from other angles like ASC... or even NZ (if you use your imagination).

In my opinion it's unlikely to be the NC of the Natal Carbineers because the uniform is wrong. This chap is wearing the heavy serge tunic that was worn in the European theatre.

The Natal Carbineers served in German South West Africa c. 1915 (where khaki drill and pre-war Colonial kit tended to be worn) but did not serve as a unit in Europe. The tunics of the prewar NC had distinctive scallopped pockets with a long middle point which this is not. Volunteers from NC served in Europe with the 2nd South African Infantry (2SAI) a composite battallion formed for overseas service and wore 2SAI badges.

I think British ASC is the more likely contender

Alex Rice 20-03-15 06:09 AM

If ASC, why the spurs, especially for a private? I think it is NC.
Cheers,
Alex

Brian Conyngham 20-03-15 06:32 AM

Alex

Looks like NC to me.

Brian

Frank Kelley 20-03-15 06:36 AM

Members of this particular corps were actually mounted troops and spurs were the norm, his rank is not relevant in any way whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 303339)
If ASC, why the spurs, especially for a private? I think it is NC.
Cheers,
Alex

Frank Kelley 20-03-15 08:13 AM

Morning Brian,
If you look at the three threads by drjimbo, you will see that the photographs he has posted come from a member of his family who he says "served in the ASC" and that "the photos are related" and so on, so given that, even before you start to examine each image, you can safely discount the Natal Carbineers.
In fact, one of the photographs shown by drjimbo in his last thread, in the British section, very clearly shows members of the ASC standing in front of one of their AEC's!
Regards Frank

QUOTE=Brian Conyngham;303340]Alex

Looks like NC to me.

Brian[/QUOTE]